Grey Squirrels Face Massive Cull

Nitro

what would the implications be of introducing Red Squirrels to the IOM as a refuge from the grey squirrels??

No one has really addressed this question. It may be cute and lovely to have red squirrels living here but what would be the consequences? What impact would this have on other native species? We shouldn't really be interfering with evolution/nature (or god if you're that way inclined).

If you listen to the show on Manx Radio audio archive I mentioned that will tell you all you need to know.

There are no major implications. There is a possibility of them taking some bird species eggs (and occasionally nestlings) if there is a food shortage, and they can damage some trees (confierous and pine), again usually only when there is a food shortage on the ground. They generally eat nuts and seeds, and some insects.

So, foxes and squirrels are cute, foxes are a pest and squirrels are not.

Conclusion: Protect the foxes and kill the squirrels. Huh?

There's a plan to re-introduce beavers [on the mainland UK] too.

Now the Americans are saying *we're* mad.

-All those blocked streams and flooded fields.

If you listen to the show on Manx Radio audio archive I mentioned that will tell you all you need to know.

There are no major implications. There is a possibility of them taking some bird species eggs (and occasionally nestlings) if there is a food shortage, and they can damage some trees (confierous and pine), again usually only when there is a food shortage on the ground. They generally eat nuts and seeds, and some insects.

I listened to that programme on Sunday and I got a different impression from the contributors. They seemed to be saying that they knew of the potential risk to birds, but that the knock-on environmental effect had to be fully assessed before the introduction of any non-indigenous species was essential and this had not yet been done in the case of the Red Squirrel.

I listened to that programme on Sunday and I got a different impression from the contributors. They seemed to be saying that they knew of the potential risk to birds, but that the knock-on environmental effect had to be fully assessed before the introduction of any non-indigenous species was essential and this had not yet been done in the case of the Red Squirrel.

Well of course. If we were to introduce them officially there must be an in-depth assessment first (although this was not done for other species).

That's why it would be much cheaper and easier for someone to just bring over some breeding pairs...maybe someone has already.

That's why it would be much cheaper and easier for someone to just bring over some breeding pairs...maybe someone has already.

Seems reasonable... after all, it's worked for quite a few human ethnic groups. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Was it Mark Twain who said that a squirell is just a rat with a good publicist?

So what if he did. Is that relevant?

Relevant to what?

What he and i were pointing out was that they are just another rodent,fluffy tail or no. Red squirrels are dying out because of human interferance in the ecology, lets not interfere again.

Not good, bit of an aussie thing I imagine, destroy the habitat of other locals

Actually, it was the Poms and Irish who bought rabbits, rats, foxes, goats, deer, privet.small pox and fellow countrymen to the new ISOLATED country all those years ago. The Aussies can only really be blamed for Cane Toads and what a forehead-smacking-dumb-idea that was :) Posted with the friendliest intentions, of course!

Archived