Manx Mot

Larrr

Who here has bought a car from England and brought it back to the IOM and had it put through the Manx MOT.

I'm thinking about buying a car from England and bringing it back to the Island. I understand the car has to be less than three years old.

What are the costs incurred in getting the car checked out and what problems have people encountered?

Thanks

Less than three years old and the car will automatically pass and be eligible for Manx plates. Older than three years it will need to go through the test. Best thing is to bring a car over and put it in for the test. If it passes great! If it fails, you will be given a list of what needs doing. Fix these and then re-enter it again.

done it three times now though one just scraped in under the 3yrs rule - quite straightforward, the test seems to be somewhat more picky than a UK MOT but in neither case was there anything I disagreed with (in one the local garage in a pre test check found a fault in the steering mechanism, though the car had passed a MOT only 3 months earlier, they fixed it and it passed 1st time)

The reason theyr'e so picky at the test centre is that they will only test the car once and after that it is up to the owner to keep the car roadworthy. whereas in the UK the vehicle is tested annually.

There has been talk of bringing in an MOT here for years but the sticking point was that the DOT did not have the resources to carry out annual tests on all Manx cars, yet they would not trust garages to carry out the test to their exacting standards.

We probably don't need an annual MOT on private cars here anyway, cars cover much less miles per annum here than in the UK and the percentage of accident caused directly by vehicle defects is very low

the sticking point was that the DOT did not have the resources to carry out annual tests on all Manx cars, yet they would not trust garages to carry out the test to their exacting standards.

You can buy an MOT across for the price of taking the 'right' mechanic out on the piss for a night, so I think the DoT probably have a reasonable point.

I've seen a dinged-up ringer in Manchester get an MOT off the back of the garage owner in question getting a night out on the piss and a bit of fanny. (I wasn't right happy about it, but then again, the police didn't give a shit.)

I reckon we're better off with the DoT guys doing the job properly and honestly (even if it is only once) than the mockery of a sham that passes for the MOT across.

You can buy an MOT across for the price of taking the 'right' mechanic out on the piss for a night, so I think the DoT probably have a reasonable point.

Indeed, I brought my car over from England 18months ago, and despite passing a MOT 3 weeks before I bought it, the test found I needed new tyres/brake discs/brake pads and the steering column tightening....

The nail is possible but unlikely in such a short distance from Tromode to IOM BP ... you will notice that I enclosed faults in quotes ... they were not faults at all just what the centre decided to fail it on. The main dealer confirmed that the work was totally unnecessary but had to be done to get it through the test. They also confirmed that this sort of thing is not unusual in even a very well maintained vehicle such as mine.

Never put a car through the Manx Test, but have put three or four bikes through. Any faults they find they will list for you and if you get them sorted within a certain time, the next test is at a reduced fee.

I have always found the guys doing the testing very friendly and helpful. I had a bike in that failed as the dip beam for the headlight was pointing up to much. While they wouldn't adjust it for me, they were quite happy for me to adjust it while someone else sat on the bike in front of the calibration machine and tell me when it was okay.

Archived