Summerland Comes Down Fast!

jurby and behond!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never forgave incredibly-ugly Summerland for replacing rather-beautiful Derby Castle.

Let's just hope someone comes up with an idea for something realistic, feasible and entertaining for the site.

If ever you walk along that end of the prom in the summer it absolutely stinks. If they do build anything residential there, they won't be able to open their windows in summer for the smell and the rack flies.

doubtless - crabs love the stuff, there are many other bottom feeding fish

some of smell comes from rotting seaweed as the tide & current deposits it at that end of the bay - in 19th C used to be collected as a fertiliser for potatoes

a memorial

EDIT: interesting link.

Dr Ian Phillips is writing a book about the Summerland Fire

The first chapter of the book is here as a pdf.

I hope it is published as the summary of its content looks interesting. When I was at college (1979-82), most of the building surveyor students knew of the fire as it did have ramifications for the building industry creating many of the fire and design regs. still in force today, I suppose.

As to what should replace it? Its hard to say, really. All the suggestions so far have been wish lists, rather than a cold look at what would be feasible in commercial and construction terms. The main problem I see is parking. If it is an amenity drawing many people, then where would they park? The site is big, but not big enough, I wouldn't have thought, to include a large car park along side whatever is put there. The car park for Summerland was woefully inadequate, but was designed in days when people would stroll along the prom or get the horse tram. Of course, the development could include a multi-storey; that would be a fitting replacement for the ugly, old building!

Is it true there are fish that live near the sewage outflows and eat the poo?

A old Manxie colleague at work insists there are poo-eating fish down there, but I think he might be kidding.

Either way, it does get jolly stinky down that end of the prom, especially in hot weather, not sure I'd want my front window facing out to the sea......

I thought that all the poo goes into the IRIS system now (at least for Douglas and Onchan) so there shouldn't be any at all in Douglas Bay so the smell, in theory should be purely natural i.e. rotting seaweed.

As far as poo eating fish, the turds must be fairly big if they can manage to eat a fish! no seriously there are certain fish known as bottom feeders, among them are Cod and for sure most fishermen won't eat cod becuase of their questionable habits. Hope that hasn't put you off cod!

A old Manxie colleague at work insists there are poo-eating fish down there, but I think he might be kidding.

I remember somebody years ago calling Coley "shit fish". They refused to eat them as they said they fed on the sewage. Don't know if it is true or not though.

Whilst they are deciding on what to do with the Summerland site, they should make it a free parking area for the summer. People who work in Douglas could park there and walk along the prom to work whilst it's sunny. Alleviate parking in town and help people to get fit.

• 9 months later...

I know I'm bringing up an old topic here but I'm looking for pics of inside the summerland/aquadrome building, I just wondered if anyone had managed to come accross some between now and the time this topic was last posted on?

Archived