Summerland Comes Down Fast!

jurby and behond!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some cracking pictures of the site, the best ones are where they have knocked all the internal floors and walls out so standing in the sports hall level you could see the Piazza level roof!

Does anyone have any pictures of the original piazza structure (inside and outside), the fairground downstairs, the cave in it's original layout.

I believe there's alot of structure below ground level which they still have to break up then fill in the hole.

The cave nightclub was the only below ground level area. They cut into it and back filled before they started cutting the roof down, they needed to do this so they could get the machinery closer without it caving in.

I believe there's alot of structure below ground level which they still have to break up then fill in the hole.

The cave nightclub was the only below ground level area. They cut into it and back filled before they started cutting the roof down, they needed to do this so they could get the machinery closer without it caving in.

Are you sure? There was a drive in entrance at the side at road level that went downhill for starters.

Also, bear in mind that when you went through the side entrance to the cave you went in at road level, down one flight of stairs to the cloakroom/bogs level, then down a rather long flight of stairs to get down to the cave itself so I can't see how that's the only level as it didn't exactly have super high ceilings or anything.

I'd have thought the sports halls were below ground level partly but hard to tell with going upstairs then back downstairs again to get to them. That said though the entrance where you went in for the sports halls was at road level and had a stairway that also went downwards just inside the entrance so there would obviously have been something down there too.

If you looked from the viewing window of the derby bar, the cave nightclub was directly below the right hand 5-a-side pitch.

The east service area (the drive in entrance on king edward rd, at road level) only went down as far the sports hall depth, pre fire there were big sliding doors under here that went through to the sports hall or fairground as it was back then. These were to get the rides in/out for service etc.

The nightclub toilets were on the same depth as the sports hall level. heading down the steep stairs you were heading under the right hand 5-a-side football pitch.

Pre fire there was a door through from the sports hall/fairground level into the nightclub which was the main entrance to it in them days.

I have a copy of the original plans which i was showing to somebody here last night.

So strictly speaking the sports halls were partly below ground level as I suspected and the cave was below them?

Interesting stuff anyway? Would love to see/have a copy of those plans but I'm assuming they're only on paper and not a soft copy?

Archived