Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Yep, they've wheeled in likes of advocates to give some opinion on a non-story that they've suddenly decided is News. It must be a bit of a bastard when there is nothing actually happening. The estate agents thing can be a story on the backburner for months. They'll have loads of these instant news stories. Same wiith the newspapers. Salaries have to be justified.

Yep, they've wheeled in likes of advocates to give some opinion on a non-story that they've suddenly decided is News. It must be a bit of a bastard when there is nothing actually happening. The estate agents thing can be a story on the backburner for months. They'll have loads of these instant news stories. Same wiith the newspapers. Salaries have to be justified.

So, what hugely important news broke in the IOM on Saturday afternoon that you heard about and my colleagues missed?

• Like 1

Nobody sees Manx Radio as an employer of journalists do they? I mean, have they ever investigated and broken a story on anything at all? Ever? I can't think of one. They're more of a government information and announcement centre.

How many radio stations 'break' news though? You could lay the same claim at the door of the newspapers. It's a small island. Not very much happens. Life is safe, and fairly predictable. That is a good thing!

The by-product of that is that the station has to 'find' news. Fairly prominent local people saying positive or negative things is, in this world, news. It's just not very interesting.

• Like 1

Nobody sees Manx Radio as an employer of journalists do they? I mean, have they ever investigated and broken a story on anything at all? Ever? I can't think of one. They're more of a government information and announcement centre.

How many radio stations 'break' news though? You could lay the same claim at the door of the newspapers. It's a small island. Not very much happens. Life is safe, and fairly predictable. That is a good thing!

The by-product of that is that the station has to 'find' news. Fairly prominent local people saying positive or negative things is, in this world, news. It's just not very interesting.

Surprised they don't just say 'look there is no news today so we are going to play an ace of base megamix'.

So, what hugely important news broke in the IOM on Saturday afternoon that you heard about and my colleagues missed?

It was an observation Stu. Same as BBC, ITV, The Daily This That and The Other, and Isle of Man Newspapers. Some days there's no news. Let's dig out a non-story to keep the masses happy.

But now you mention it, I think Manx Radio news guys do rely on no news at the weekend as the pages are rarely, if ever, updated, even if something did happen.

Although the early morning bird broke the devastating news today that Howard Quayle's mother was a Ramsey girl and he likes war memorials. Complete with a stock photo of Howard wearing his poppy:

423476-1.jpg

• Like 2

I was under the impression there was a sizeable news team at MR

Wish they'd do more in depth stuff, especially Catherine Nicholl's interviews

I think they've cut back over the years. There used to be someone who updated the website so Christ knows what they did all day. It's the same with the BBC Ellan Vannin thing though. The lack of anything worthwhile on that online or on air makes you wonder why they even bother having it.

I was under the impression there was a sizeable news team at MR

Wish they'd do more in depth stuff, especially Catherine Nicholl's interviews

I think they've cut back over the years. There used to be someone who updated the website so Christ knows what they did all day. It's the same with the BBC Ellan Vannin thing though. The lack of anything worthwhile on that online or on air makes you wonder why they even bother having it.

Think BeeB are planning to throw more of our money at it