Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

24 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Any radio station manager will tell you its very important to get people tuning in at breakfast, then it’s likely the casual listener won’t move from that station throughout the day, ok that’s in the old world before you could get Alexia to find any station, any style of music from anywhere in the world. 

It appears the station has decided to dump the current affairs option for a music show with the odd interview interspersed throughout. This morning there was a truly toe curling item from John Moss in a plantation. With no one to interview we were left with a classic Moss special, talking to himself but thinking we could see what he was looking at. I expect this report didn’t get anywhere near an editor for checking, but was just sent to air to fill the quota of a non music item.

The problem, as I see it with the programme is it’s now DJ fronted. Young Mr Hartley, who is very adequate as the stations fill in presenter with name checking Manx Radio in every link and telling us what is coming up next etc., but doesn’t seem very comfortable at anything more than introducing the next disk. Think the very first track played when the show launched, by Dodgy, is summing up what’s going on.

With the current line up of presenters Ms Wottan needs to be the anchor and needs to pull out of the trivial stuff completely such as ‘where’s Wottan’ etc. It’s a credibility issue.

For me, if I was to suggest how to fix this problem, I would use the money being spent on DJs at 5am and after 7pm and put it into a refreshed Mandate programme running 7-9 or until 10 with some music if needed to pad out. Presented by Andy Wint, Chris Cave, Beth Espey and Alex Wotan...oh and give Juan Turner a commentary slot as a good windup segment!

Not a bad bit of constructive criticism (apart from I wouldn't give turner the shit off my shoe).

Alex is killing MR using death by a thousand broadcasts as his chosen weapon. The new schedule is awful and Messrs Turner & Berry must be rubbing their hands in glee.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WKRP said:

It appears the station has decided to dump the current affairs option for a music show with the odd interview interspersed throughout. This morning there was a truly toe curling item from John Moss in a plantation. With no one to interview we were left with a classic Moss special, talking to himself but thinking we could see what he was looking at. I expect this report didn’t get anywhere near an editor for checking, but was just sent to air to fill the quota of a non music item.

And this is the crux of the issue with the latest changes! 

They're now receiving even more money for 'public sector broadcasting' whilst at the same time reducing down the current affairs coverage that was used to justify the incrased funding. 

The MD of Manx Radio is always keen to say they aren't a 'jukebox radio station'  -  they're a broken jukebox station run by incompetents. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 9:29 PM, Declan said:

Actually, there are people at Manx Radio who can cover a news story competently.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-accused-of-trespass-in-ramsey-forest/

Dan Richardson will be supported by his Living Hope Church friends - their Crossag camp seems to be expanding and is nearby. If he gets permission to stay it could set a precedent for others in the cult!

2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

And this is the crux of the issue with the latest changes! 

They're now receiving even more money for 'public sector broadcasting' whilst at the same time reducing down the current affairs coverage that was used to justify the incrased funding. 

The MD of Manx Radio is always keen to say they aren't a 'jukebox radio station'  -  they're a broken jukebox station run by incompetents. 

The extra funding went through on the nod after the disastrous Tynwald debate on Kerry Sharpe's public media report/proposals

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, parchedpeas said:

Why does the boy Brindley always get the kicking on here? Looks like the change came in after the new MD showed up!

Yes. That's what I think too. Probably a collaboration between them, but Chris's arrival must have been the catalyst even if it has an air of "We must do something; we must do anything."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

Why does the boy Brindley always get the kicking on here? Looks like the change came in after the new MD showed up!

These changes have been planned for some time. The new MD Chris Sully had little or nothing to do with it, and he explains this in the interviews with Paul Moulton,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There will be major repercussions from this change of mode within a year.

Andy Wint is interviewing pupils from one of the schools. Again, again. I think that is fair enough and it is clear that Manx Radio has dumbed down and/or down with the kids.

The strategy might work because if all the future sixth formers know there will be a Manx Radio interview or two, there is a constant supply of interviewees.

Will the strategy work? I think I'm with Albert on this one.

• Like 1