Condoms In Schools

EthnicTom

They make crap water bombs.

Thats all they will get used for in the first few months of having them anyway. Save our money and let them go and get their own - cheap skate tossers

...... no wait a minute - thats the problem - some of 'em aint!.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isnt the job of the school. It is a basic responsibility as a parent!!!

We have a large uncounted packet of condoms in the bathroom cupboard, my daughter knows they are there and if required she can help herself, maybe she has maybe she hasn't - none of my business, so long as I have done my best as a parent to teach her, it is up to her.

If she gets preggers I can always phone Social Services and put her in care. Isnt that what we do as a society today? Blame the government or whoever for our failings then pass the buck to the next man?

This is probably the best approach in on all the rant on here.

Unfortunately a lot of the previous generation (ie the parent) probably don't care anyway as many arrived here from the similar couldn't care less attitude. And I bet they don't teach their children to put their sweet wrappers in the nearest bin either.

Me, me, me is all it is about. And besides, who wants to use a condom when you can get a baby and a house and more money all the time. Heh, shag and sorted.

Hey kids, just you crack on and make water bombs.

I don't think anyone was advocating that the Government should assume the responsibility of the parents in this matter, just that easily available condoms in schools is a good idea.

Yeah. If anything making condoms more freely available shifts more responsibility onto the parents.

There are only two types of parents - good parents and bad parents.

IMHO, those that say it 'should be the responsibility of parents' miss the point that: many parents fall through the safety net of commonsense, and it is up to us (the rest of society) to deal with the failure of bad parents - before their failure turns into a general problem for the rest of us.

Hence - make condoms freely available in schools.

Recently a couple of 15/16 yr olds were having sex in the changing room toilets in a certain High School when everyone else had left to for their PE lesson. They might have come prepared (so to speak) but if not, a free condom machine in there might have been useful.

When I first saw piles of free condoms available on the counter of a tourist information office in Spain at a music festival I was well impressed - especially as they had the name of the festival printed on them. I thought it would be a good idea for the TT, then remembered the methodist kill-joy ethic here.

This is such a fabulous post I must have read it maybe 20 times. It embodies everything good about internet based discussions.

Best of all, it makes a good point. It is hilarious to read .. I just love the mental imagery of the changing room toilets .. and he manages to make his point without resorting to long boring arguments.

Give that man a prize :rolleyes:

Questionable .. but Im listening.

IMHO, those that say it 'should be the responsibility of parents' miss the point that: many parents fall through the safety net of commonsense, and it is up to us (the rest of society) to deal with the failure of bad parents - before their failure turns into a general problem for the rest of us.

Yes thats a factual account of the situation as far as it goes.

and then presumably everyone will become a good parent ? I dont really understand this one Albert.

Questionable .. but Im listening.

Yes thats a factual account of the situation as far as it goes.

and then presumably everyone will become a good parent ? I dont really understand this one Albert.

No - the link is that because they are bad parents and won't do what most of us would do - we provide the education and condoms that the bad parents don't. Hence we all don't suffer from their failures.

It's not rocket science: E=MC2

Easily life for us = More Condoms for the offspring of bad parents 2.

No - the link is that because they are bad parents and won't do what most of us would do - we provide the education and condoms that the bad parents don't. Hence we all don't suffer from their failures.

No its not rocket science. Rocket science is based on logic.

Sorry Albert. You havent made an argument to support that conclusion at all.

Have you had a beer tonight? :)

Have you had a beer tonight? :)

No I havent. I just think you are wrong. Of course, if you want to buy me a beer, Im happy to accept. Not tonight tho. Possibly the weekend. :rolleyes:

I'm probably going to sound like a puritan in this post and get a lot of ridicule, but anyway ... takes deep breath.

I am not convinced our teenagers should be engaging in more sexual activity. If you look at the history of our society sexual activity amongst the young has increased massively since lets say the 1940s. This is a large and important social change which is still occuring.

I in no way wish to go back to the repressed and uninformed ways of the past, but the sexualization of our children troubles me. Teenagers are starting having sex earlier and are having more partners than ever before.

If condoms are provided without additional educational measures I do think there will be more sex ... the problems sex creates are more than just babies and disease, but also the intense emotional feelings it generates. These emotions can be very positive, but can also create conflict and upset between the partners, their parents and their peers. Jealousies can increase etc etc. People can be coerced into sex when they don't want to ... "Go on, please, look I've got a condom so its all ok" ... The simple fact is that some people experience these feeling too young and the result can be life changing for the worse.

Condoms will reduce pregnancies and disease, both of which have exploded in the last decade or so ... I fully agree they should be available. But without good sex education that not only concentrates on the enjoyment and positive side of sex, but also puts a strong emphasis on the problems and emotions sex can generate I am concerned. Condoms fail, the result pregnancies and clamidea infections etc, but even with a 100% effective way of preventing unplanned pregnancy and disease I think we have to be careful about encouraging young and emotionally immature people embarking on what everyone agrees is a changing point in their lives.

There's chastity and their promiscuity and there's a middle ground between the two. Demanding chastity is absolute bollocks, but is our society moving too far towards encouraging promiscuity in our young and what problems will that create?

Archived