Toughest Pub In Uk

Billy One Mate

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's quite possibly true if you ignore places that were built as hotels, inns, clubs and similar places that offered more than a place to drink. Or places that were converted from other uses such as private houses.  Certainly I seem to remember hearing that when the time came to give the Heron a licence they was some consternation as there was no one left alive who new how to issue a licence to a new pub.

I seem to remember quite a lot of local press coverage given to to it at the time as it was very much a novelty to have a bespoke, purpose-built pub, a big thing was made of it by the brewery?

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I seem to remember quite a lot of local press coverage given to to it at the time as it was very much a novelty to have a bespoke, purpose-built pub, a big thing was made of it by the brewery?

Yes, I remember how disappointed we were when we experienced it for the first time too! 

Went to the Heron once, in and out fairly quickly had a very swift pint (seemed to be a local pub for local people) just to tick it of as we were trying to get a beer in all Iom pubs before some disappeared forever, the strangest one and you could have heard a pin dropped when four of us arrived one Sunday night was the Jurby hotel. 

10 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Went to the Heron once, in and out fairly quickly had a very swift pint (seemed to be a local pub for local people) just to tick it of as we were trying to get a beer in all Iom pubs before some disappeared forever, the strangest one and you could have heard a pin dropped when four of us arrived one Sunday night was the Jurby hotel. 

"You made me miss!"

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

I keep meaning to visit some of the pubs I have yet to set foot in

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

That’s because you’d fastened your shoelaces and weren’t boss-eyed.

Archived