Paul O'grady Show

manxmaid

Hi, did anyone see yesterday's show (Tues), I had to leave the house at 5 to go to work but saw the trailers during the day of Paul saying who his guests were going to be etc and that he was going to learn to speak manx...... this I would have loved to see cos Paul is a fantastic entertainer.

Did anyone see it?

Saw it. Didn't do much for the island or the Manx language if you ask me. Lenny Henry read out a few very odd Manx phrases and just took the p.

Paul a fantastic entertainer? I must have been watching a different show - or need to wack my head a few times against a brick wall and damage my brain before I watch him again.

I really enjoyed it. I think Adrian Cain did a great job - given that the phrases he used were probably O'Grady catchphrases 'suggested' by the producer, and that Lenny Henry clearly and wilfully misunderstood that his spot was over and that he should be quiet - rather than muscle in and take the mickey out of Manx Gaelic.

You can take the 'ham' out of Birmingham...

I quite like Paul O'Grady - he seems a genuine sort, and he talked fondly of holidays in Douglas. Saw him live once as Lily Savage and it was hilarious.

Lenny Henry seems to have lost a lot of his talent and is now relying for laughs on his grandparents' accent, the colour of his skin, the size of his tackle and laughing out loud. He is much more interesting when he is speaks from the heart. I'm glad Adrian didn't have to trot out a load of cultural stereotypes for cheap laughs.

Unfortunately, a couple of minutes of trivia on the Paul O'Grady Show is all modern Anglo-English culture can afford to spend on minority cultures, but well done to Paul for all that.

SarahC, the culture of Manx Gaelic is not grasping or aggressive, if you don't like the sound of it, the complexity, history, Celticness, non-commerciality or non-conformity of it, well, fair enough - But it is in no way a threat to anyone, and no one is out to get you if you don't like it. Manx has survived against the odds because people who speak it love it, not by persecuting people for speaking other languages. I'll admit to letting out a sigh when placenames are changed, when we see a new set of stamps or banknotes issued with English and Latin but no Manx, and when I read comments like yours which make us out to be psychopaths for speaking or having an interest in our own language. Or is your paranoia that the Welsh will take offence???

There are many Manx speakers in all walks of life. Learning the language gives you a lot of insight into other European languages, for example Kitty, your name is a diminuative of "Cat" - a loan word from Gaelic, also found in proper nouns like Caithness and Catriona. Like you, Manx spelling has gone for a K rather a C, and is spelled "Kayt".

Oh dear, I think I might be going on a bit here, it is just that I am so passionate about the language and bless the day I started learning it. There are loads of classes all over the island, websites, blogs, stacks of songs, novels, textbooks, radio shows, parties, coffee mornings, playgroups etc. I'll admit that Manx speakers would be quite willing to "get you" to enjoy this other side to life here, even, or especially, if you can't tell Manx from Welsh just now.

Bio-Cultural Diversity is Good.

Graih as Shee - Love and Peace.

well at least you know where you stand with the old scouse.

Keep your hands in your pockets and chain everything down :D

I think Paul is great, much better than that trout married to ozzy osborne

• 15 years later...

I saw Paul O’Grady perform on the Isle of Man in the 80s. He was so funny. I don’t think he’s as confident though on the telly,  I think he hid behind the Lily Savage make up. I still like him and wish him well. Good luck to him and I hope he’s keeping well ❤️