Candidate Announced For Castletown

lard

Former Manchester police inspector Roy Redmayne has announced that he will stand for Castletown. (Too early for any links yet, but heard on Manx Radio midday).

To have a contest can only be good for Castletown and the Isle of Man. The sitting member is Speaker of the House of Keys Tony Brown. It is thought he might be nominated for Chief Minister, if he wins. Tony Brown has been MHK for Castletown since 1981 and has faced 5 elections (three contested and two unopposed).

Well done Roy Redmayne for putting his name forward. His experiences with the Isle of Man Government over the past couple of years will be invaluable.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant news! As a former police inspector I'd expect him to have some credibility.

He'll have to work hard to overcome the encumbant advantage Mr Speaker has, but I wish him well.

At least I now have two options ... spoiling my ballot paper or voting for Mr Redmayne. Previously I thought I'd have to spoil my ballot in protest. Its been my opinion for quite a time that change is needed in Castletown.

I am happy to see all seats contested, but why declare so late in the day. If anyone is serious (or wants to be taken seriously) about standing for MHK surely they have to declare early and give themselves time to do the necessary graft or I am missing something?

Absolutely brilliant. This should smoke Brown out of his lair.

Redmayne has my vote already.

:)

But does anyone know him or his policies? Much as I disagree with Tony Brown's views on a number of subjects, and am happy that there will be a contest in Castletown, all I know about Roy Redmayne is his personal battle against his treatment by the Manx Police in respect of a single event.

Is this really enough to blindly vote for him and potentially give him the power to govern the Island?

After a bit of research I've discovered that I actually know a bit about Mr Redmayne. He works part time for the Red Cross ... they're having a busy election.

I would guess that alot of the reason why he has waited until now before announcing is that the results of his Petition to Tynwald were finally debated this session.

Tynwald voted to give an unqualified apology for his treatment, but he can't have known that until the final report was debated etc.

This thing must have been hanging over him for years. I can understand why he'd want to wait until he knew it was really over before declaring. He only knew on Wednesday.

Now I've put name to face, I'm happier, I know him as hard working, and doing a good, professional job in his work with the Red Cross. I wish him well, and await with interest his manefesto.

The trouble with the late declaration by candidates is that some people may just have been convinced that there would be a walk-in, and therefore not registered.

I think that the registration period applicable to election candidates should be closed at the same time, if not well before the the electoral register is closed.

Registration for voters is even closed well before many manifestos are out.

This whole thing is awfully late in the day, even if the reasons seem understandable in this case. I am very pleased to see a contest, however.

Prior to a contest being announced, it seemed deeply unfair for, say, Onchan folk to have three votes each and Castletown residents excluded from the election process by having none.

Are all seats to be contested now?

After a bit of research I've discovered that I actually know a bit about Mr Redmayne. He works part time for the Red Cross ... they're having a busy election.

I would guess that alot of the reason why he has waited until now before announcing is that the results of his Petition to Tynwald were finally debated this session.

Tynwald voted to give an unqualified apology for his treatment, but he can't have known that until the final report was debated etc.

This thing must have been hanging over him for years. I can understand why he'd want to wait until he knew it was really over before declaring. He only knew on Wednesday.

Now I've put name to face, I'm happier, I know him as hard working, and doing a good, professional job in his work with the Red Cross. I wish him well, and await with interest his manefesto.

I'm still not entirely convinced about his credentials for a role in running our Island.

He works, part-time, for a charity - as it happens, so do I - but so do lots of other good spirited, generous people. It doesn't make them all good candidates.

He has beaten the management of the Manx Police, and that has shown him to be a determined and intelligent man.

But neither of these meritorious achievements guarantee that he will be a good member of the Government.

I do not know him, do not have a vote in Castletown, and am not a fan of Tony Brown, but I am wary of supporting candidates with no track record, just because they have no track record!

I'm still not entirely convinced about his credentials for a role in running our Island.

He works, part-time, for a charity - as it happens, so do I - but so do lots of other good spirited, generous people. It doesn't make them all good candidates.

He has beaten the management of the Manx Police, and that has shown him to be a determined and intelligent man.

But neither of these meritorious achievements guarantee that he will be a good member of the Government.

I do not know him, do not have a vote in Castletown, and am not a fan of Tony Brown, but I am wary of supporting candidates with no track record, just because they have no track record!

But you would vote for the current shower ? !!!

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.

[Winston Churchill]

If Tony Brown invaded hell I would at least make a favourable reference to the devil on the forums. [Lonan3]

I too am glad to see Roy put his name in the hat o to speak, but at the same time I hope its for the right reasons. At the recent sitting of Tynwald a MHK presented a document written by Roy, the Document was handed to all MHKs but after an objection by one MHK the document was quickly taken back. Apparently he hit a very raw nerve.

Archived