New Nightclub Opening

TerryMcCann

I think less and less folk are going out "clubbing" not just here, but all over the adjacent isle as well.

I think the downturn started with the Millennium effect; remember 31st Dec '99? Pubs and clubs were charging a fortune just for admission (way beyond what the extra pay for staff would have been) and putting on naff all entertainment. People felt conned. Add in what a rip off the drink prices are, how hard it is to get home and the aforementioned Ned problem and frankly I'd rather stay in.

So, it's a clear choice: invite a few mates round, go the supermarket/offy, maybe get a DVD, stay as late as you like.

Or, go to a pub, queue for a while to pay double the amount for the same drink, choke on fag smoke, get elbowed, queue again at the bar. Move on to a busier pub, longer wait at the bar, can't hear yourself think, get elbowed, pay even more for your drinks, more smoke. Go to a "club". Run the gauntlet of neds/lairy females/psychopaths on your way there, queue for ages just to get into the place, queue for 20 minutes to get a vastly overpriced drink, treated like cattle, deafened, baked and battered, eyes now stinging with the smoke before leaving to find that the only way to get home is to walk miles, find a taxi (fat chance!) or take the car.

Arrive home, smelling like an ashtray and feeling like you've been sat on by Giant Haystacks.

Hmmm..

You are a cheery sod. ;)

Don't mind going to pubs, better atmosphere in the right place than your (or anyones) living room! (Never had a good draught pint in anyones living room). :rolleyes:

And of course in the UK, no smoking in pubs which has made the world of difference to a night out. No stinging of eyes, or stinking smokey clothes.

Clubs, think you sort of grow out of them really. Most folk will go to them, as it is the only place they can get a drink after a certain time.

As for running the gauntlet of neds, never had that problem, even in Glasgow. The day I stay in, just in case I meet a group of neds is the day I may as well just give up.

You seem obsessed with neds! (I secretly think you really admire the fashion of burberry cap and tracksuit :P and are just jealous of them)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, the old Ned Bank on Bucks Road caused much hilarity when it was there..

Don't get me wrong, I like a quality pint in a pub, especially watching a local band, I've just long since tired of the pub/club trawl.

And Mr S, you have encountered Neds - in Striling - so don't lie. Or maybe it's old age catching up with you.

(I'm already there before you say it :angry: )

I know, the old Ned Bank on Bucks Road caused much hilarity when it was there..

Don't get me wrong, I like a quality pint in a pub, especially watching a local band, I've just long since tired of the pub/club trawl.

And Mr S, you have encountered Neds - in Striling - so don't lie. Or maybe it's old age catching up with you.

(I'm already there before you say it :angry: )

One ned (chav) in 17 years of visiting pubs isn't enough to make me barricade myself in the house and never go out again. There is always going to be a risk of meeting an arse in a public place.

The picture you're painting is that there are chavs absolutely everywhere causing no end of hassle all the time, which really isn't the case.

I've walked countless times from the centre of Stirling after closing time to go home, which is a 25minute walk encountering no trouble.

On page 41 there is an advert for staff for a new winebar/nightclub in Douglas catering exclusively for over 25's.

Anyone know where it is going to be?

It would be nice to go somewhere free of knobheads wearing stripey jumpers

the over 25's ARE the knobheads wearing stripey jumpers. and the only thing new in the douglas area for the over 25's is the new hospice.

the over 25's ARE the knobheads wearing stripey jumpers. and the only thing new in the douglas area for the over 25's is the new hospice.

Pah! I popped into Bushy's last night and there was a load of 18 year olds playing all of my favourite music from 25 years ago - and wearing the same clothes I used to wear 25 years ago.

OK I did turn up in a stripey top - but just give it a few years and they'll be all the rage.

When did they start being called neds? A chav is a chav - nuff said!

chavs are called neds in Scotland. Exactly the same thing though!

My mate, the rolls not baps one, informed me that N.E.D stands for None Educated Delinquent. I thought that was pretty spot on, where did the word 'chav' come from anyway?

From the cops - Council Housed And Violent - and to be fair to a lot of people, note the AND word, so not just anyone on a council estate. I'm sure though there are lots of other origins.

It is a shame there is nothing on the Island in the way of a club scene.

I tended to like it too how the Douglas's were a bit more segregated on a Friday and Saturday night. The Venue was always to be avoided and mainly always went to Paramount to avoid the dickheads.

I don't think it is that easy to go to Liverpool and Manchester to enjoy clubbing when it costs so much.

The Island definitely needs some more clubs. I remember how Strand 58, Paramount City, The Venue, Colours and the Outback would be all filled on a Saturday. So are people just not going out anymore?

People go out.. i know personally when i was 18 strand was somewhere everyone would meet before going there seperate ways. However now, no matter how boring they are I go to the same pubs..why? becuase the though of going in strand 58 legends and the Late Breeze makes my skin crawl. Being surround by scallies and people from school who still havent grown up! threating to batter people and all this..."er do u know who my brother is, he'll flogg ya" err yeahh bla bla crap!

I love a good night out with my friends but unfortunatly aslong as the huge amount of scallies still roam the island the pubs will never be good. We go out of douglas sit in old mans pubs and avoid the scallies..makes for an easier more pleasent life in the long run! Some people want to just go out let their hair down and have fun.. some are idiots and spoil this for everyone!! Id love some new night life but as with everything the scallies would ruin it! blaming on 18 year olds is harsh!! i am 22 and there are just as many idiots my age and older!!

places that used to be nice, are now over run with idiots! untill the idiot problem is sorted the rubbish nightlife problem will reamin!

Archived