New Nightclub Opening

TerryMcCann

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On page 41 there is an advert for staff for a new winebar/nightclub in Douglas catering exclusively for over 25's.

I looked on page 41, and it's all about taking my carburettor apart. Which publication are you referring to?

Did I miss that off. Oops. Too much drinking with the stripey jumper brigade has taken it's toll obviously.

The Courier

I am led to believe by both a builder working on the site and an industry insider that it will be next to the Jubilee Cafe by the clock opposite the Bushys beer tent site, the place that sells T-shirts in TT and used to sell models.

Sure it will go down well with the youthful clubbers in Douglas, and correct me if i'm wrong, Colours is over 21's, Paramount has been sold behind the scenes like the Veune was, Fiesta et al are overpriced, leaving their only haunts, Legends and The Outback, and even then Legends is underage central and regarded as shit by most.

I was lucky enough when 18 and hitting clubs there was a choice of several, Toffs, Studebakers, The Venue, Villa Marina raves, Jeffersons, some good some bad, but most importantly there was a choice which prevented all the youngsters being in one place.

Although i do believe it is a government/police drive to prevent drunken youths on the promenade that has prevented licensee's wanting to open places letting in 18's, thats it, give them fuck all to do and they will then find other ways of "entertaining" themselves.

For those interest there is a "Save Douglas Nightlife" drive on facebook that last time i checked already had well over 1300 members, so my opinion is shared by a fair number of people.

Paramount is still under the same management it has been since it's inception.

They have undetaken substantial investment in new air conditioning over the summer and if you head down tonight you will notice the brand new lighting rig and laser system in the darkroom (downstairs).

Happy clubbing :D

For those interest there is a "Save Douglas Nightlife" drive on facebook that last time i checked already had well over 1300 members, so my opinion is shared by a fair number of people.

I thought the Save Douglas Nightlife group's stance was more to grumble very loudly until the Government gave them a night club to shut them up, making their case with such spectacularly poor examples of reasoning such as:

"This is bad for tourism" - I suspect that most of those who visit the Isle of Man on holiday are a fair bit older than 21. Sticking another nightclub in Douglas for 18 year olds and over isn't going to change that when said 18 year olds can just go to Liverpool or Manchester where there are always going to be better clubs.

"Its bad for the economy as the island is struggling to get the best people to do the top jobs." - Well, but of course. What with CEOs and top civil servants being notorious connoiseurs of the club scene. At one point during its heydey you couldn't move in the Ministry of Sound for top ranking diplomats and captains of industry throwing shapes in the church of sound.

Although i do believe it is a government/police drive to prevent drunken youths on the promenade that has prevented licensee's wanting to open places letting in 18's, thats it, give them fuck all to do and they will then find other ways of "entertaining" themselves.

It's just as likely that club owners stopped catering to under 21's because they tend to have sod all money and are more bother than they're worth.

Paramount is still under the same management it has been since it's inception.

They have undetaken substantial investment in new air conditioning over the summer and if you head down tonight you will notice the brand new lighting rig and laser system in the darkroom (downstairs).

Happy clubbing :D

I stand corrected said the man in the orthopidic shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the Save Douglas Nightlife group's stance was more to grumble very loudly until the Government gave them a night club to shut them up, making their case with such spectacularly poor examples of reasoning such as:

"This is bad for tourism" - I suspect that most of those who visit the Isle of Man on holiday are a fair bit older than 21. Sticking another nightclub in Douglas for 18 year olds and over isn't going to change that when said 18 year olds can just go to Liverpool or Manchester where there are always going to be better clubs.

"Its bad for the economy as the island is struggling to get the best people to do the top jobs." - Well, but of course. What with CEOs and top civil servants being notorious connoiseurs of the club scene. At one point during its heydey you couldn't move in the Ministry of Sound for top ranking diplomats and captains of industry throwing shapes in the church of sound.

I LOLd

It is a shame there is nothing on the Island in the way of a club scene.

I tended to like it too how the Douglas's were a bit more segregated on a Friday and Saturday night. The Venue was always to be avoided and mainly always went to Paramount to avoid the dickheads.

I don't think it is that easy to go to Liverpool and Manchester to enjoy clubbing when it costs so much.

The Island definitely needs some more clubs. I remember how Strand 58, Paramount City, The Venue, Colours and the Outback would be all filled on a Saturday. So are people just not going out anymore?

I know many of my friends who are still living on the island aren't going out as much because it's got a bit boring for them!

I say put a university on the island :D having universities here in Leeds and other cities means there are nights on EVERY night of the week and cheaper drink deals as places try and compete with other bars/clubs!

I think less and less folk are going out "clubbing" not just here, but all over the adjacent isle as well.

I think the downturn started with the Millennium effect; remember 31st Dec '99? Pubs and clubs were charging a fortune just for admission (way beyond what the extra pay for staff would have been) and putting on naff all entertainment. People felt conned. Add in what a rip off the drink prices are, how hard it is to get home and the aforementioned Ned problem and frankly I'd rather stay in.

So, it's a clear choice: invite a few mates round, go the supermarket/offy, maybe get a DVD, stay as late as you like.

Or, go to a pub, queue for a while to pay double the amount for the same drink, choke on fag smoke, get elbowed, queue again at the bar. Move on to a busier pub, longer wait at the bar, can't hear yourself think, get elbowed, pay even more for your drinks, more smoke. Go to a "club". Run the gauntlet of neds/lairy females/psychopaths on your way there, queue for ages just to get into the place, queue for 20 minutes to get a vastly overpriced drink, treated like cattle, deafened, baked and battered, eyes now stinging with the smoke before leaving to find that the only way to get home is to walk miles, find a taxi (fat chance!) or take the car.

Arrive home, smelling like an ashtray and feeling like you've been sat on by Giant Haystacks.

Hmmm..

Archived