Sat Nav Maps For The Isle Of Man

Roger Smelly

The maps are not available for safety reasons - most Manx drivers have trouble with both eyes looking at the road without a Satnav to distract them....

And by the time they've found the place they will have forgotten why they went there...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Navteq are the ones who have the IOM. So any system that uses their maps has the iom in it. Like Garmin. Copilot. destinator. The new Bmws (I think) etc. I did read a while back Tomtom were switching to Navteq. Not sure if thats true or not now with that mapshare stuff thats come in now.

TomTom have bought TeleAtlas, so I would imagine that at some point in the future their only remaining NavTeq receivers will be changed over (Rider, Rider2 and ONE, I think).

The IOM is fully digitally-mapped by the government AFAIK, so why, if I'm right, TeleAtlas haven't bought the data I don't know.

The maps are not available for safety reasons - most Manx drivers have trouble with both eyes looking at the road without a Satnav to distract them....

In my experience, people who need a sat nav to get around are motoring imbeciles - I wouldn't accept a lift from someone who was unable to find their way without one.

Ah but surely a lot of satnav users simply have them as an additional convenience rather than as something they 'need'? After all, people managed fine with road maps & other means before satnav was readily available.

But if you do actually mean people who can't manage without one then yes, it does seem a little bit inept.

In my experience, people who need a sat nav to get around are motoring imbeciles - I wouldn't accept a lift from someone who was unable to find their way without one.

I know - I really should know the back roads of Italy like the back of my hand. If I go again this year I promise I wont take my GPS. Will I be cool like you then?

I know - I really should know the back roads of Italy like the back of my hand.
there's no need - you'll find them in an atlas.
Will I be cool like you then?

I doubt it.

Kb, try googling "sarcasm" lol,lol

I have sat nav for the UK and to be honest with you the amount of arguments it has saved me from in my book it is worth buying lol.

You know what its like driving down some road the missus reading the map and you trying to look at the road its time wasted and also it means you aint holding up the traffic.

I find the only people who knock sat nav are the ones without it.

It really does help, and i know most of us over here don't need it for the island but my view is that the easier people can get about the more relaxing the holiday is.

Try it you might actually like it.

The only problem I have read about it is that it sends everyone the same way, hence if there is roadworks or if the journey is shorter by going through a housing estate, then you and all the other sat nav users will all be going through there and hence there will be a build up.

That problem is also with the "oh it's more economical as is gets the shortest distance". If it sends you in a SLIGHTLY shorter route with lots of traffic lights, as apposed to a SLIGHTLY shorter route with no traffic lights, then chances are that it will be more economical to go the route with no traffic lights. Although it's a very minor point it still stands that human knowledge still beats computer, although for how long? =]

Like the idiot in the shitty purple Kia this morning *MN 712T. Obviously was too busy looking at a Sat Nav to realise they had their rear fog lights on all the time, ran a red light at Ballasalla and didn't see any of the speed limits along the way. Well done you gobshite.

Like the idiot in the shitty purple Kia this morning *MN 712T. Obviously was too busy looking at a Sat Nav to realise they had their rear fog lights on all the time, ran a red light at Ballasalla and didn't see any of the speed limits along the way. Well done you gobshite.

Was there a sign hanging in the rear window saying "Princess on Board"?

I bet there was.

Was there a sign hanging in the rear window saying "Princess on Board"?

I bet there was.

I couldn't see - I was blinded by the f*cking fog lights

[ During The Manx Grand Prix this year I was stopped on the Old Castletown Road, just by The Nunnery, by a well spoken old chap on a classic bike. He pointed towards Douglas Quay and asked if he was heading the right way for Parliament Square, and was he near The Gooseneck.

THAT is the most lost I've ever seen anybody on the Isle of Man.

Really? Tune in to Manx Radio on a Tuesday and listen to question time in the House of Keys.

I find satnav invaluable in towns. I use it when I get to the target town in question to pinpoint an address for delivery. A necessity in London and some of our major conurbations and a lot safer than pulling over to read a map, mainly because you aren't allowed to stop in some cases. Like having a co-pilot directing you. Anyone that needs one on the IOM is a resident of Douglas or a tourist.

Like most things that are 'aids' they aren't meant to be followed absolutely, you are allowed to change route and it won't tell you off.

Archived