Sat Nav Maps For The Isle Of Man

Roger Smelly

Hi all

I was just looking into the mapping of the isle of man for sat nav and it looks like only one company currently has mapping of the island.

What i was thinking was why don't the isle of man get the island mapped for sat nav and have it like a tourism gimmick that could be free to download for the visitors.

I know a lot of the bikers now use sat nav and any visitors coming here would really see it as a way of getting about easier.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all

I was just looking into the mapping of the isle of man for sat nav and it looks like only one company currently has mapping of the island.

What i was thinking was why don't the isle of man get the island mapped for sat nav and have it like a tourism gimmick that could be free to download for the visitors.

I know a lot of the bikers now use sat nav and any visitors coming here would really see it as a way of getting about easier.

The most popular sat nav used foo motorcycles is garmin and they have IOM maps anyway.

Well from what i have read any sat nav that uses tele-atlas will not be able to read the local roads.

And seeing as a lot of people have tom tom's i guess some visitors are missing out.

i just thought it might have been a good tourism gimmick

Nope - this from MR:

Volunteers for street mapping project

30 July 2007 20:17:14

An attempt will be made in September to map the Isle of Man’s major towns in a single weekend.

OpenStreetMap.org, an internet mapping project, will visit the Island to produce copyright-free maps, usable by anybody.

On the first two days of next month Nick Black, of Open Street Map, wants volunteers to help the project by travelling around with GPS units to map streets and roads.

But you don’t need any technical knowledge of cartography to take part (audio file attached):

You can find out more about the project at the www.openstreetmap.org website

Navteq are the ones who have the IOM. So any system that uses their maps has the iom in it. Like Garmin. Copilot. destinator. The new Bmws (I think) etc. I did read a while back Tomtom were switching to Navteq. Not sure if thats true or not now with that mapshare stuff thats come in now.

FFS we're 30 miles by 10, how lost can you get ?

Just stop and ask someone, they'll be only too pleased to point you on the right direction

I agree in principal but GPS is great for delivery companies and the like...

Just stop and ask someone, they'll be only too pleased to point you on the right direction

I agree in principal but GPS is great for delivery companies and the like...

It's good for the environment too - because it can optimise travel routes and times - thus saving fuel.

When I decided to buy a GPS for the Car. the Tom Tom I looked at on the shelf in Curry's had Isle of Man Mapping on it, but the one in the box I took to the counter didn't, so ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi 660. My mum who lives in the UK last week bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 at Halfords for just £99.00, which also has the Island on it. My old car, a Rover 75, had built in GPS. The 2005 Disc had Isle of Man Mapping, but for some reason the Islands countryside was coloured blue rather than green as it was when traveling in the UK.

The maps are not available for safety reasons - most Manx drivers have trouble with both eyes looking at the road without a Satnav to distract them....

During The Manx Grand Prix this year I was stopped on the Old Castletown Road, just by The Nunnery, by a well spoken old chap on a classic bike. He pointed towards Douglas Quay and asked if he was heading the right way for Parliament Square, and was he near The Gooseneck.

THAT is the most lost I've ever seen anybody on the Isle of Man.

Archived