Star Trek

When Skies Are Grey

Simon Pegg? Oh god - anything with that irritating 'funny' man in puts me off straight away. Shame, I was looking forward to it otherwise.

How does he get these parts? (e.g. mission impossible). He must be knocking off female producers and be able to lick his eyebrows or something. Tosser <_<

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed the new Start Trek movie - I thought the one who played Bones was very good as he had the character very like the original. Like Ans I really wasn't keen on the Chekov character either. I did manage to spot a small continuity error in the film though :)

What, continuity with the original series, etc, or an internal continuity error in the film itself? If the former, JJ Abrams has done a year zero on the Star Trek universe (apart from, unfortunately, ST:Enterprise) so most continuity errors can be explained away.

One thing I would say is whoever is in charge at StarFleet High Command should be court-martialled for incompetence... how many times can the Solar System and it's immediate vicinity be left unguarded before something terrible gets through?

Think about it - in this film, the whole fleet is away somewhere so a bunch of cadets have to man some brand new and untested ships to defend one of the two founding planets of the Federation, Vulcan.

In ST:Generations, when the Enterprise B is launched and cruising around the solar system, there is an emergency nearby and they are the only ship in the sector...?!?!

In ST: The (Slow) Motion Picture, when VGer is approaching, the only ship the federation has to spare in the region of the solar system is the Enterprise, just refitted and completely untested.

In ST3 - The Search For Spock, Half a dozen people manage to steal a starship from the spacedock and there is only one other ship available to intercept it, an untested experimental vessel.

Come off it - Earth (along with Vulcan) is the beating heart of the Federation - it should have a thousand Starships, returning from and setting out on missions and maintained in readiness against the next Klingon, Romulan, Breen or Borg incursion. usually it seems that there is only ever one starship in the Solar system (and that is in a poor state of repair or just been refitted and never tested) and what's more, they only have about a dozen experienced officers and the rest are cadets.

Well, it does work, but not if Scotty nicks the spark plugs.

No it doesn't, rememeber they called Excelsior "The Great Experiment" Starfleet abandoned transwarp technology because they couldn't get it to work properly. By the time of ST VI - The Undiscovered Country, the Excelsior, Captained by Sulu, had been retrofitted with conventional warp engines.

(Ok, I know everyone is going to jump in here to point out that the Borg used transwarp conduits... and Scotty uses transwarp technology in the new film... but my point stands)

Watched it last night and got to say it was thoroughly enjoyable!

Couldn't stop giggling in parts... all the characters seemed to retain the mannerisms of the original cast (but it's so long since I've watched an original star trek though...)

Not a fan of this time travel business though.. too many paradoxes, better to not think about it. Why didn't nero just go back further in time and save romulous if he was that bothered, by seeding the supernova himself?

Wtf is "red matter" though?? perhaps a condensate of "dark energy and dark matter"?

"do they still have sandwiches in the future? " was a particular favourite line.

The space scopes and fx were really impressive..

Was a bit slapstick in places (where kirk being chased by big monster / then bigger monster eats big monster (star wars anyone?) and the piece in the water tubes... but suppose that's also true to the original ST.

Uhura in her white lingere was rather pleasant I have to say.

I would like to boldy go etc etc..... :D

wrong...

No it doesn't, rememeber they called Excelsior "The Great Experiment" Starfleet abandoned transwarp technology because they couldn't get it to work properly. By the time of ST VI - The Undiscovered Country, the Excelsior, Captained by Sulu, had been retrofitted with conventional warp engines.

(Ok, I know everyone is going to jump in here to point out that the Borg used transwarp conduits... and Scotty uses transwarp technology in the new film... but my point stands)

Wow, a finer Trekkie I have never met!

I have no idea what the fuck he's talking about but it sounds good and I think he should be nominated for the pointless position of 'MF Trekkie Leader'

Wow, a finer Trekkie I have never met!

I have no idea what the fuck he's talking about but it sounds good and I think he should be nominated for the pointless position of 'MF Trekkie Leader'

Yup extremely knowledgeable but can you imagine what facts Jim'd have pulled out of his jacksy if he had hated the film???

Yup extremely knowledgeable but can you imagine what facts Jim'd have pulled out of his jacksy if he had hated the film???

Yes, the fact that film was so great has allowed me to overlook the horrible continuity errors that not even time travel can explain away. E.g. in the original series Delta Vega was on the edge of the galaxy but in the film it looks like it's a moon of Vulcan. WTF?

Going to watch it tonight. Really looking forward to it, the special effects seem really good.

Although I feel a bit ambivalent about the whole prequel thing as Enterprise was so appallingly bad and the last movie Nemesis really shouldn't have been made.

At least the Romulans are in this movie and not the Klingons as usual.

In ST:Generations, when the Enterprise B is launched and cruising around the solar system, there is an emergency nearby and they are the only ship in the sector...?!?!

In ST: The (Slow) Motion Picture, when VGer is approaching, the only ship the federation has to spare in the region of the solar system is the Enterprise, just refitted and completely untested.

In ST3 - The Search For Spock, Half a dozen people manage to steal a starship from the spacedock and there is only one other ship available to intercept it, an untested experimental vessel.

Earth is quite far from Kronos and Romulus though. And I don't know how effective the Mars Defence Perimeter is or was supposed to be.

And maybe dilithium was in such short supply that they couldn't build many ships and keep them near the Sol system. It wasn't until TNG that they could synthesise the stuff. Although in TNG the Enterprise seems to be the only ship anywhere near the Neutral Zone to handle any crises.

You can explain any of this shit away with silly excuses.

Archived