Star Trek

When Skies Are Grey

Not a fan of this time travel business though.. too many paradoxes, better to not think about it. Why didn't nero just go back further in time and save romulous if he was that bothered, by seeding the supernova himself?

He didn't have any control over the time travel. He only did it once remember when he got sucked into the black hole with Old Spock.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erm..you do know it's not real, right? :D

Many of the plays of William Shakespeare are just stories he made up. It doesn't stop people from discussing them and the events therein. My daughter is currently studying William Goldman's "The Lord Of The Flies" at school. You know that isn't real, right? Can you give us a list of fictional stories and films that we are allowed to discuss or is it just Star Trek?

I don't get this one. If you were on a moon looking at a planet that has just collapsed in on itself because it a black hole was inside it, you aren't going to last very long on the moon.

Why? The mass of the planet isn't going to be that much greater, unless they used a very big black hole (and this seems unlikely), the moon is just going to be orbiting a black hole instead of a planet (probably at a slightly lower altitude though).

Unless you are referring to the flood of hard radiation which can be produced by matter falling past the black hole's event horizon. In this case, most of the radiation would have been absorbed by the planet's crust, until of course the planet's crust also falls in.

On reflection though, the gravity gradient might be changed enough to make the tidal forces on the moon's crust strong enough to tear the moon apart (although this might not happen instantaneously).

But what if you were wearing your underpants on the outside, would that make a difference?

Yes you'd be Pantsman on The Apprentice and get fired.

Why? The mass of the planet isn't going to be that much greater, unless they used a very big black hole (and this seems unlikely), the moon is just going to be orbiting a black hole instead of a planet (probably at a slightly lower altitude though).

On reflection though, the gravity gradient might be changed enough to make the tidal forces on the moon's crust strong enough to tear the moon apart (although this might not happen instantaneously).

Unlikely, the moon wouldn't just orbit round the black hole, certainly not if it had such a gravitational pull to eat up a planet in minutes. It would be inexorably drawn towards it given the greater gravitational forces.

(I shouldn't take the science and chronological stuff too seriously when it comes to Star Trek)

Every time it was nearly good it was spoilt by either by icky emotionalism or by dreadful humor. When Kirk and Simon Pegg teleport back to the ship it becomes almost Willy Wonkerish. With Pegg wooshing around inside the giant water tubes. Then Kirk slips on a banana skin.

Yeah I thought that. I thought this was the problem with the film. The bad guys and the story was not serious. You didn't feel like anybody was REALLY bothered about what might happen, they were all too focused on being a bit silly. Which just made it worse by the fact the bad guys didn't seem that sinister at all. The only reason they managed to pull off their mission was due to random encounters between the future crew and some strange technological advances that seem farcical like transwarp beaming.

It definitely makes Star Trek seem cool, but in not taking itself seriously it doesn't make it seem like the other films and most of the series.

Unlikely, the moon wouldn't just orbit round the black hole, certainly not if it had such a gravitational pull to eat up a planet in minutes. It would be inexorably drawn towards it given the greater gravitational forces.

It sounds to me as though you've learned your physics from hollywood.

Black holes do not have to be massive with huge gravitational fields, they can be smaller than a pinhead with a mass of a couple of million tons. It's the density and escape velocity of the thing that makes it a black hole, not the mass per se.

Black holes which form from collapsed stars have a mass which is at least 1.7 times the mass of our sun, however the black hole produced by Nero would, I imagine be far far smaller. (In TNG it was established that some Romulan vessels are powered by a 'quantum singularity' - the smallest possible black hole. (Although theories from Stephen Hawking would suggest that singularities that small would instantly evaporate in a burst of 'Hawking Radiation')

A small black hole could easily eat the planet up (admittedly not as quickly as a 'conventional' black hole) whilst only being one or two percent of the mass of the planet. After the planet has been consumed you have a black hole which has a mass a fraction more than the planet had. Assuming the moon is far enough out, it should survive unscathed - if it was closer in, tidal forces would be problematical.

What I thought needed more explanation was how a single drop of that red matter was able to create a black hole like the one that consumed Vulcan, but a container the size of a small car full of the stuff didn't appear to create any noticeably bigger effect. They went to lengths to demonstrate the care that had to be taken with it, implying that a single drop was so powerful.

I also think it was a strange decision to kill off the vast majority of both the Vulcan and Romulan populations in one film.

Archived