Star Trek

When Skies Are Grey

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Spot on. Loved the film and Pine IS Kirk. The first scene in the bar there's one little bit, almost his first line, and as soon as I saw it I knew he was going to be great.

Yes, there were things that were wrong from the point of established continuity - some little things that only sad people like me would notice and some things that people with only a passing knowledge of the series would say "what the..?" at. But I liked the way they made it fit.

The only pity is that there isn't another episode next week.

What an irritating movie. At least as bad as any of the 1980s movies.

Every time it was nearly good it was spoilt by either by icky emotionalism or by dreadful humor. When Kirk and Simon Pegg teleport back to the ship it becomes almost Willy Wonkerish. With Pegg wooshing around inside the giant water tubes. Then Kirk slips on a banana skin.

Kirk, obviously, is troubled. He seems to be based more on William Shatner, the actor, than on any previous TV or movie version of the Kirk.

At the end they all hug and cheer.

Obviously the whole point of this one was as a set up for the next 6 in the franchise.

We went last night and really enjoyed it. Pine and Quinto nailed both their parts, the supporting cast were good. The only character I didn't really click with was Chekov. He just seemed to be a whole new character with the same name and bore little resemblance physically to Koenig.

Eric Bana didn't get enough screen time as Nero, although I guess there wasn't a lot of backstory for him anyway seeing as he was just a pissed off miner.

Star Trek was always camp, and mildy slapstick, and I think they got the tone of the film just right.

My wife said to me yesterday afternoon "I want to go and see Star Trek again." Result! We'll probably go again this week. My 13 year old daughter wants to go and see it again - with her friends. Has there ever been a Star Trek film with that broad an appeal? Is it possible that JJ Abrams has done the unthinkable - impossible? - made Star Trek cool?

Archived