Dogs Home Reborn ?

cheeky boy

A bloke in the pub told me that M&S are supposed to let you through at any time. I suppose a night watchman could let you through, but since it's quicker to go past Havana I doubt antone has tried it.

there was a similar set up thru a shop on Prospect Hill "horroks?" It was demolished for Victory house and a new right of way established to the side, the original , i think, linked right to Drumgold street and then Callows Slip [ Regent Street}

We were always Falcon drinkers, the Tartan bar was the best around [circa 1970]

The dogs i never liked, i was banned by Mrs Mc Aleer on my first visit! Used to have a drink with Max Glanz in the snug in later years, i was esentially his office then.

The Star was a hard Man U pub at one time, they banned Sunday papers if Man U had lost, We noted that Man U when in the 2nd division had a leading goalscorer who was their own goalkeeper [A Stepney] so we thought it right and proper that we should point this out to the Star regulars! :o

As the man said,"they dont like it up em"

Yes there are scars, but it was worth it! :D

Interesting point, the pub was an annexe to the Star Hotel on Prospect Hill and they were linked internally.

• Like 1

A bloke in the pub told me that M&S are supposed to let you through at any time. I suppose a night watchman could let you through, but since it's quicker to go past Havana I doubt antone has tried it.

there was a similar set up thru a shop on Prospect Hill "horroks?" It was demolished for Victory house and a new right of way established to the side, the original , i think, linked right to Drumgold street and then Callows Slip [ Regent Street}

We were always Falcon drinkers, the Tartan bar was the best around [circa 1970]

The dogs i never liked, i was banned by Mrs Mc Aleer on my first visit! Used to have a drink with Max Glanz in the snug in later years, i was esentially his office then.

The Tartan Bar had the best jukebox selection, but the Dogs was a close second

Max later decamped to the Golden Egg where he would sit with Colin Fick , Willie Kirkpatrick and several other local movers & shakers pouring over the FT

There was police, Ambulance's and someone lying on the pavement. I saw a body with a blanket over him/her but no paramedics near so it came to my mind someone might actually be dead and covered over. I don't think this is the case as you would have heard about it by now.

it was right next to that "For your eyes only shop" across from En Fin.

Just heard, 27 year old assaulted. So thank goodness for that!

• 3 months later...
I have a rather nice painting of this pub by John Halsall. I never went there myself though, wasn't it full of druggies?

Is your painting the original? There are lots of copies around but I know that Robert would be very interested in the picture if it was the original.

• 9 years later...

After the demise of the Villiers, it was the Dogs we frequented through the 70s and into the 80s when racing at the Manx. Only yesterday I was reminiscing with an ex rider, who now lives in Michigan, about the times in the Dogs with the rest of us competitors.

Also lunch times at the Bowler after morning practice and a mornings work on the bike. Just left the fairing off. Enough time to sober up before evening practice and then a session in the Dogs or Douglas Head or even the Groudle which I now think is closed.

Those were the days. Must go back again someday before my numbers up.

Is Yates Winelodge still there?

Holy thread resurrection batman!!

Bowler - still open

Dogs - closed and demolished

Douglas Head - closed and demolished

Groudle - closed but still there

Yates Winelodge - closed ages ago and transformed into Bushys, which in turn closed and saw the birth of the Bushy's beer tent which just celebrated its 20th anniversary.

• Like 3

Demolished may not be the exact word though.

What pubs were at where O'Donnells is now?

There were two pubs at Stran 58/Caseys/New Strand at one time weren't there? I suppose those could be classed as demolished.

(The Star, Old Curiosity Shop, Three Legs of Mann spring to mind but I can't accurately place them)

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Demolished may not be the exact word though.

What pubs were at where O'Donnells is now?

There were two pubs at Stran 58/Caseys/New Strand at one time weren't there? I suppose those could be classed as demolished.

(The Star, Old Curiosity Shop, Three Legs of Mann spring to mind but I can't accurately place them)

Wasn't The Star on Prospect Hill, just downside of the steps to Market Street back of M&S?