[BBC News] TT victims 'in restricted area'

Newsbot

The organisers should really pay out for dead TT competitors. After all, if nobody got killed in it, it would be very difficult to market it as the most dangerous event of it's type. Which is why it's so popular isn't it? The death toll can almost be described therefore as an asset.

I would rise to the bait, but there is no point in feeding the troll!!!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wrong. McDonalds serve their coffee at 185 deg F which is considerably hotter than other places. Some woman spilt some in her lap and ended up needing skin grafts. Being the US they sued. She left the court $640k richer - nice work if you can get it! The reason for the award was because Macs had had complaints about the over-temp, been sued before etc etc and ignored it all. That's why their coffee now has a reminder on it that it's hot.

I gather that these record breaking payouts in the US courts are something of an urban myth. Sure, at first hearing the plantiff is awarded punitive, headline-making damages, but I understand that these cases often go to appeal at which point the amount is reduced to a more realistic level.

It was reduced on appeal from $2.7m to the $640k she walked away with.

• 2 weeks later...
The organisers should really pay out for dead TT competitors. After all, if nobody got killed in it, it would be very difficult to market it as the most dangerous event of it's type. Which is why it's so popular isn't it? The death toll can almost be described therefore as an asset.

I would rise to the bait, but there is no point in feeding the troll!!!

I'll rise. They do pay out. No idea how much, but their estate gets something.

I wasn't aware that was a restricted area?

The way I understood it was if you spectate any motorsport event the outside of any corner is always a restricted area, as that is the area that a car/bike will end up if its out of control, to be honest i did not think they used that lay-by TT week for that reason.

any area marked red would be a dangerous place to spectate this pic was copied from a rally website but same rules apply in all special stage events.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...ost&id=8343

Why are top left and bottom left different even though they're only mirror image?

To be fair, money cannot replace a person so really all this compo carry on its a bit tasteless and just shows the dirty greedy side of todays society. If a person 'just dies' at an early age their loved ones dont get compo, most people have life insurance so morgages and things like that are covered - I presume they pay out if you die in an accident too. I dont understand the difference between someone dying of natural causes and dying in a race or whatever, the end result is the same, is it not?

Archived