Illegal Immigrant Jailed

Albert Tatlock

From MR: "A 47 year-old man who lived and worked in the Isle of Man illegally has been jailed for a total of nine months by the high bailiff."

I don't see the logic of this approach. Why should Manx tax payers have to pay to keep someone inside (who's not a danger to society) for nine months?

And how was this allowed to happen in the first place? In this case he had a forged passport and forged driving licence, but a quick call/check by the work permit office could well have easily spotted this. It makes you wonder what the function of the work permit office is, other than to keep the Bridson and Horrox rubber-stamp division in business.

Surely in many of these cases the employer should be simply given a hefty fine and the guy kicked off the island - at no cost to Joe Public - if you don't hit the employers hard for not checking it'll keep happening, and Joe Public faced with hefty bills. But the failure of the work permit system here needs to be looked at IMO - there are perfectly simple ways to double check who owns a passport and driving licence in the current system as it stands.

In addition to the prison sentence he excluded Jelani from the Island for five years and said after his release from prison he was to be sent back to India.

This is what surprised me. Surely it would have been easier just to send him straight back? Or did they want to rehabilitate him before he went back to India to stop him trying it again in 5 years. Bizarre.

?

And how was this allowed to happen in the first place? In this case he had a forged passport and forged driving licence, but a quick call/check by the work permit office could well have easily spotted this. It makes you wonder what the function of the work permit office is, other than to keep the Bridson and Horrox rubber-stamp division in business.

u be surprised how many there is, and how easy it is to do,

worked with a few ppl that had forged passports etc, and were working here

On the other hand, it does serve to send out a message. Try it on and do porridge. If the only risk was being sent back it's a risk worth taking.

Maybe to some extent - but how many people in Bombay read the Isle of Man Courier?

The work permit system is a bloody disgrace, employers abuse it constantly.

I personally have worked for some one that ;

a, asked an ex-employee to pay him back for obtaining a five year work permit in advance. No such thing exists. (unless someone knows different)

b, I worked for 8 months without a valid work permit and nothing was done about it when I informed them. A permit was not issued because I didn't ever receive a copy.

That's just me in a 'reputable' firm, how many others out there?

if you don't hit the employers hard for not checking it'll keep happening

So I assume in this case that no penalty of any sort was applied to the employer?

Doesn't seem right.

So I assume in this case that no penalty of any sort was applied to the employer?

Doesn't seem right.

That said, if the guy presented a perfectly good looking French passport and driving licence - what could an employer realistically do? - whereas an offcial government office such as the work permit office could confirm that sort of detail.

Tried to attach a copy of the work permit form ... without success but if you go to IOM DTI Gov website "Work Permit Application it states .... (If born outside the United Kingdom or the EC please supply a copy of your passport)

Doesn't seem right.

That said, if the guy presented a perfectly good looking French passport and driving licence - what could an employer realistically do? - whereas an offcial government office such as the work permit office could confirm that sort of detail.

A perfectly good looking French passport, as used by those responsible for 9-11

French Passport

Archived