Road Traffic Offence

inspector

This caught me out.

Luckily though, not literally.

When travelling over the mountain using the one way system, apparently if you cross a solid white line in the middle of the road, you commit an offence.

Everybody knows that you don't cross the line during regular two way traffic but what difference would it make to cross the line when the road is designated as one way and there ain't gonna be anything coming towards you anyway?

I find it strange. Would anybody else have even considered this?

Be careful chaps - could be an unnecessary fine and points if your driving is determined as dodgy!

I did not know that. Would of thought it ok with the one way system working. Travelled over the mountain last week with the wagon and lots past me on double white lines. Just makes sense for them to do that in stead of being held up.

Typical IOM though.

the offence is crossing the white lines, so if you drive on the right hand side and don't cross the lines your not committing an offence.

Common sense says the lines are only really applicable when there's 2 way traffic so whats the point of prosecuting when its a one way system - perhaps they should have put more cones out.

The white lines in the centre of the carriageway denote a hazard, usually one relating to sight on the corner; another is dips etc in the road. Just because there's no traffic coming the hazard still exists whatever it may be. Read the highway code and follow the rules.

Frome the official Govt press release 30th May, 2008:

"ONE-WAY MOUNTAIN ROAD

The Department of Transport and the Police would like to re-iterate the rules of the one-way system which is in place on the Mountain Road during the TT fortnight.

The section of the Mountain Road from the Ramsey Hairpin to the Creg ny Baa will remain one-way, in the direction of the TT course, until 10am on Monday 9th June. It is important for all residents and visitors to make themselves aware of how this system will operate and the message to everyone is simple – go with the flow.

The suggestion for a one-way Mountain Road came from the Emergency Services, due to the volume of visitor traffic for the Centenary TT. The one-way system was considered an important facet of improving road safety for the event. Due to its success in the Centenary festival it was decided to run the one-way system again for TT 2008, and into the future.

Although the road is one-way, it is still illegal to cross the solid white lines as there are vehicles joining the road at the Bungalow and other junctions. The Police will be patrolling the road regularly to ensure the traffic regulations are complied with. The road could be closed in the event of an incident, so drivers and riders must obey any instructions given to them by Police.

Two of the junctions on the one-way section, Bungalow and Brandywell, are coned to allow vehicles to filter in and out of the junctions and this year there have been additional cones places on the road to guide traffic through the series of bends at Waterworks. Emergency services are stationed at Ramsey to respond quickly to any incidents on the Mountain Road.

Approaching the end of the one-way section from Keppel gate to the Creg ny Baa there is a descending speed limit starting at 60mph and reducing to 40mph to allow vehicles to stop at the temporary traffic lights located immediately prior to the Creg ny Baa.

Bruce Hannay, Director of Highways said: ‘It is vitally important that all motorists take note of the rules of the one-way system of the Mountain Road. The system was introduced to improve safety and this can only be the case if everybody adheres to the rules and drives within the speed limits on the Mountain Road.’"

I hope this clarifies the situation

Just a case of using the whole road without thought about what might be round the next corner. There's a bit of that on the "normal" roads at the moment. Each time I go round a corner in my car nowadays, it seems there's a motorbike in the middle of my side of the road coming at speed towards me while he is overtaking someone, whether in a speed restricted area or not. I'm surprised there are not more serious accidents.

"ONE-WAY MOUNTAIN ROAD

The Department of Transport and the Police would like to re-iterate the rules of the one-way system which is in place on the Mountain Road during the TT fortnight.

The section of the Mountain Road from the Ramsey Hairpin to the Creg ny Baa will remain one-way, in the direction of the TT course, until 10am on Monday 9th June. It is important for all residents and visitors to make themselves aware of how this system will operate and the message to everyone is simple – go with the flow.

The suggestion for a one-way Mountain Road came from the Emergency Services, due to the volume of visitor traffic for the Centenary TT. The one-way system was considered an important facet of improving road safety for the event. Due to its success in the Centenary festival it was decided to run the one-way system again for TT 2008, and into the future.

Although the road is one-way, it is still illegal to cross the solid white lines as there are vehicles joining the road at the Bungalow and other junctions. The Police will be patrolling the road regularly to ensure the traffic regulations are complied with. The road could be closed in the event of an incident, so drivers and riders must obey any instructions given to them by Police.

Two of the junctions on the one-way section, Bungalow and Brandywell, are coned to allow vehicles to filter in and out of the junctions and this year there have been additional cones places on the road to guide traffic through the series of bends at Waterworks. Emergency services are stationed at Ramsey to respond quickly to any incidents on the Mountain Road.

Approaching the end of the one-way section from Keppel gate to the Creg ny Baa there is a descending speed limit starting at 60mph and reducing to 40mph to allow vehicles to stop at the temporary traffic lights located immediately prior to the Creg ny Baa.

Bruce Hannay, Director of Highways said: ‘It is vitally important that all motorists take note of the rules of the one-way system of the Mountain Road. The system was introduced to improve safety and this can only be the case if everybody adheres to the rules and drives within the speed limits on the Mountain Road.’"

So why don't motorways have double white lines?

"ONE-WAY MOUNTAIN ROAD

cos you can overtake on motorways. it is only where the double white lines are that you can't cross or straddle them. how you would stand on already being on that side of the road i don't know?? Grianne's post has a point? i bet if you look at the ACTUAL laws in place it is a half botched bluff as to what they would like you to do.( saves putting out more cones ) i would also bet if a lawyer was stopped any bodge prosecution would not be attempted.

"ONE-WAY MOUNTAIN ROAD

cos you can overtake on motorways. it is only where the double white lines are that you can't cross or straddle them. how you would stand on already being on that side of the road i don't know?? Grianne's post has a point? i bet if you look at the ACTUAL laws in place it is a half botched bluff as to what they would like you to do.( saves putting out more cones ) i would also bet if a lawyer was stopped any bodge prosecution would not be attempted.

If you're already on the "other" side, you have to stay there until the lines becomes broken once again.

Archived