• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like I'm going to take the plunge and buy a wireless router to replace my speedtouch modem. to connect up a dell inspiron laptop, PS3 and wii, along with my old dell dimension pc (for which I'll have to buy a dongle...).

Can anyone with similar equipment recommend me something relatively cheap but good?

Netgear DG834G/GT/N, £55, £78, £90.

I have the G but my PC, 360 and PS3 are hardwired, connected to the wireless are a second 360, 2 Wii's, laptop (soon to be 3) and an iPod touch lol.

My brother has the GT and has everything wireless, 2 PC's, PS3, 360 and a laptop.

Mish - I'm a dunce with wifi and security, so I got a pal to rescue things when the installation wizard went psycho on my ass - but I have the BT Voyager 2100 and it's worked fine for probably a couple of years now - always on too.

Problem is that mi casa is fairly solidly built, and the wireless range is pitiful - I have the bloody router thing hanging off the back of the 'study' door and my laptop 20 feet away in the living room only gets a weak signal. I think newer technologies are better at bouncing the signal around - this is more 'line of sight' I think.

HTH

My Netgear DG834N has not had a single issue yet. I have just bought the matching WN111 USB adapter to complement it, works perfectly, if a little bit of a pain to get setup.

USB adaptor works great, but I'm not so impressed by the WN511B PC Card. If you ever think about getting one of these cards, see if you can try before you buy.

I have the Netgear WNR854T. Speeds are great but it's a bit unreliable. I look forward to it dying after 6 months.
I've just ordered a Netgear DG834N after mistakenly purchasing a Netgear WNR3500 :P

I'll wait and see what your opinion of it is.

Not a single issue after a couple of weeks, Unlike the DG834G series!

you both want to check the netgear website for firmware updates, I have the DG834G vr2 and that used to play me up something chronic (particularly when it rained heavily or had a thunderstorm going on) firmware update and it went away. It's now pretty much the most reliable piece of kit I have.

as for a router, I would try and hunt for something that runs openfirmware like http://www.dd-wrt.com/ so you get a sh*t load of features for nothing otherwise netgear or linksys

Archived