Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new router, I'd like to know what routers you're using and any pros and cons they have. Also if you were buying a new router which one would you buy and why?

I was thinking of getting one of these

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im using a Netgear DG834G, no problems with it what so ever.

Easy and quick to install, does it all for you.

I know quite a few people with this modem/router and none have them have ever had any problems.

Recomended :thumbsup:

I can't find an adaptor for the other computers for that, unless you don't need one?

Im using a Netgear DG834G, no problems with it what so ever.

Easy and quick to install, does it all for you.

I know quite a few people with this modem/router and none have them have ever had any problems.

Recomended :thumbsup:

ditto, no problems whatsoever

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new router, I'd like to know what routers you're using and any pros and cons they have. Also if you were buying a new router which one would you buy and why?

I was thinking of getting one of these

I've got a NetGear Router, It's the same as the one you are looking at, worked great for me, until I tried the wireless when i got a Nintendo Wii.

Then bought one of these and it sorted the problem!

http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/department/in...CFQhE1AodKyPVGg

Cheers

I've got a NetGear Router, It's the same as the one you are looking at, worked great for me, until I tried the wireless when i got a Nintendo Wii.

Then bought one of these and it sorted the problem!

http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/department/in...CFQhE1AodKyPVGg

Cheers

Is there a separate connection to add an aerial on that router then?

• 2 weeks later...

The range is great, and nice and easy to set up. A couple of possible drawbacks - it can be tricky to set up VPN, and if using WDS - e.g. wireless bridging or repeating - then doesn't work with WAP (only WEP) and also only in B&G rather than N mode. Also Dynamic DNS support is a bit basic if that matters to you.

There's no way of fitting an external antenna - but how far do you need the signal to go? (if further than to the rear of a house over the road, you might then need a second one of these as a repeater).

Get the firmware upgrade - and do hard reset after.

Keep an eye out for dropped connections - a batch of these were flaky and caused lots of problems - but maybe these only went to the US - but otherwise should be solid and steady.

The USB adaptor works well with N mode. The PC card isn't so good (in fact I got better connection and speed using inbuilt wireless card in a Dell laptop!) - still it works ok.

Downside is documentation is pretty poor for anything other than basic configuration - but it's straightforward enough to set up for most WDS stuff like bridging anyway.

I'd definitely get one of these again.

Skeddan are you talking about the Netgear DG834N wireless router? Because when I get it you can feel free to come and set it up for me :)

Piss easy to set up, dont use the disk to do it though because it can sometimes lock the router up and you have to reset it and set it up manually anyway.

Set it up manually by connecting to the router either by wifi or through the cable, open up a browser and type in 192.168.0.1 username: admin password: password. go through the set up wiz and then click wireless settings to secure the wifi signal.

Done, 3 minute job.

Done, 3 minute job.

Heh, I thought that about my last Netgear router but I'll have at least one problem with one of my machines, I'll be surprised if I don't.

Fingers crossed.

It'll be at least another month until I get it though.

Archived