• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mate has just bought a Linksys N series which is spot on. cost him £54 from Amazon getting up to 300mbps on his wifi network using a netgear n usb dongle.

So if I want wireless N would I have to buy a dongle for all my pcs and laptops, or can I have a say my 360 and a laptop running on N while all the other machines run on on normal (whatever that is) or does everything have to run on N?

360 wont go on N. Due to the wep/wpa issue.

Assuming you mean an n router (not a modem but the router as an access point/bridge) I have a spare netgear one of these floating about, I didn't really buy it thinking it was a modem/router, I just thought it looked nice......

Hmm, depends. I tried various AP's configured in bridge mode with no luck. I think you'd need two compatable AP's with some sort of bridging system like buffelos wds. Didn't get any joy until I bought a dedicated bridge and that was fine with any ole wifi router. Cheaper too.

These days I just use a cable, its fasterer. Pre-N have theoretically fast speeds but by the time you add encryption and a few walls they go to shit quite fast. Ethernet cable is better to a console if you can, then homeplug, wifi last in my view.

360 wont go on N. Due to the wep/wpa issue.

Assuming you're talking about the official wifi thing? You just use an N bridge and the network port, bosh. The 360 doesn't have any wifi as standard, so saying it won't go to N is typical Spanna rot.

u assume correctly. The MS 360 wifi adaptor that 99% of people who were going to put their 360 wireless would purchase. I thought it was pretty obvious what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Was there any need for more of your confrontational attitude. I think not.

u assume correctly. The MS 360 wifi adaptor that 99% of people who were going to put their 360 wireless would purchase. I thought it was pretty obvious what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Was there any need for more of your confrontational attitude. I think not.

I'm not using the overpriced official adapter, and neither is wilddog. I don't think it'd be 99% at all. The 360 isn't wireless and you can use draft-n with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got me a Linksys N router and all was great, running at 200-300kbps on wifi using a netgear n dongle.

One strange thing to happen though is that i cant run WOW through it, all my other online games are fine but when i log into WOW it kicks me straight out and then drops the WIFI connection. I went through all the drivers and updated the firmware on the router but still no dice.

Went back to my old netgear dongle and WOW works fine, this is not a problem for me as WOW runs fine from my 54mbps dongle but just incase anyone has the same issue and wants to save themselves 4 hours of faulting, it looks like there might be an issue with the netgear N dongles through a linksys router when trying to play warcraft.

Archived