Yes - talking about Netgear DG834N :)

Had a look at the link to check the model number there as well - this caught my eye.

"MAXIMUM coverage and bandwidth, which can, for example, download 150 MP3s in one minute!"

I've been able to copy large files (230Mb) from one PC to another very fast over the wireless network - under 2 mins. Of course it won't improve the broadband speed when it comes to downloading from the internet as this suggests (!). Wireless G mode is probably going to be a lot faster than the broadband speed, so the high speed N mode is really only of value for file transfers within the network. What really makes the difference is excellent signal strength over long range - which means wireless speed doesn't drop off even at fairly big distances.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Well I think the original router I was looking at getting has been discontinued, glad I didn't get it now. Anyone else tried any new Netgear routers or tried any new routers?

Well I think the original router I was looking at getting has been discontinued, glad I didn't get it now.

Why glad you didn't get it? What features do you need in the router?

Linksys routers are great (I had a non-wireless one that ran for 2 years solidly until I moved - and worked superbly without any glitch, hitch or headaches). Linksys would be my first choice if there is a model that has all features needed and has good reviews with no reported issues.

But choice will depend on your specific requirements, how you plan to configure the network, and the priorities (e.g. wireless support, wireless range, VPN, dynamic IP support, access control, etc.). If you can get requirements clear first, it can save problems, workarounds and disappointment.

I can recomend the DeWalt 625EK

:lol:

seriously tho, I dont know anyone that is using anything other than a netgear for their routerings.

Ive got the dg834n. Only problem with mine is (not the routers fault) to use N (and get N speeds) you have to be using one of the wpa keys but the stupid 360 wireless dongle only works up to a wep key. So my wifi network has to run on G because of the 360.. dohh.

seriously tho, I dont know anyone that is using anything other than a netgear for their routerings.

Ive got the dg834n. Only problem with mine is (not the routers fault) to use N (and get N speeds) you have to be using one of the wpa keys but the stupid 360 wireless dongle only works up to a wep key. So my wifi network has to run on G because of the 360.. dohh.

If your on wep you might as well not bother securing at all.

My mate has just bought a Linksys N series which is spot on. cost him £54 from Amazon getting up to 300mbps on his wifi network using a netgear n usb dongle.

So if I want wireless N would I have to buy a dongle for all my pcs and laptops, or can I have a say my 360 and a laptop running on N while all the other machines run on on normal (whatever that is) or does everything have to run on N?

nope, when i set this up for him he had an N dongle, a g+b wifi card in the daughters PC and a normal usb wifi i the media PC.

cheers dude I think I might try one. What's the difference in the one you linked and this one here? Did you try out the wireless range on it?

Archived