Metal Repairs

ai_Droid

No idea if this is fixable, but my glasses have a hairline crack down the bracket join on one of the arms. I just know they're going to snap anytime, so I'd like to do a quick and dirty repair that doesn't look as grim as some gaffa tape. Anyone knoww what I could repair it with? Some kind of solder I'd have thought, just normal electric stuff or is there something else I should do?

I have a pair of cheap reading glasses from Boots that broke at the hinge - I fixed them with a good dollop of ordinary solder. Just get the metal hot and let the solder 'seek' the joint.

It's either that, Eleastoplast (classy) or proper yellowed Sellotape for the authentic OAP look...

No idea if this is fixable, but my glasses have a hairline crack down the bracket join on one of the arms. I just know they're going to snap anytime, so I'd like to do a quick and dirty repair that doesn't look as grim as some gaffa tape. Anyone knoww what I could repair it with? Some kind of solder I'd have thought, just normal electric stuff or is there something else I should do?

Just buy a new pair you cheapskate. :D

Is no-one else going to say it? Very well then I suppose I'll have to.

Should've gone to Specsavers

I'll get me coat...

They are bloody specsavers, and not that old. Shouldn't have gone to specsavers!

take them back under sale of goods act, get them to fix/replace them

My reading glasses from said shop broke after three months. I took them back and now have a new pair after more than a month! Not sterling service!

Methinks the designer frames they sell are the ones that have design defects in them which is why they can sell 'em on so cheap, perhaps?

I will buy a new pair, but they take time to arrive so wanted to make sure these don't snap beforehand. I've only one pair.

Methinks the designer frames they sell are the ones that have design defects in them which is why they can sell 'em on so cheap, perhaps?

Oh you think? My previous pair were from Magoos and lasted years. These are the first I've bought from specsavers. They've actually got a hairline crack on both sides in the same place, where the arms fork to make the hinge mechanism. Bloody annoying.

Can't invoke sale of goods act, don't have the receipt.

I will buy a new pair, but they take time to arrive so wanted to make sure these don't snap beforehand. I've only one pair.

Oh you think? My previous pair were from Magoos and lasted years. These are the first I've bought from specsavers. They've actually got a hairline crack on both sides in the same place, where the arms fork to make the hinge mechanism. Bloody annoying.

Can't invoke sale of goods act, don't have the receipt.

Receipt not necessary when returning because faulty. Check the arms. Does it have Specsavers written on it? Or how did you pay, do you have a bank statement or cheque stub?

Sarahc, I probably have an item on my statement.

Surely they will have a record of your prescription and having ordered the specs?

Hmm, could do. I'll try my luck lunchtime, see how I get on.

My sons glasses, from specsavers, have also done the same thing. He faceplants more than me though :)

Archived