North One Wins Isle Of Man Tt Races Tv Tender

TomTucker

There is a far more fundamental question to be asked.

What are the credentials, experience and background of those who made this decision.

We do seem to have a considerable amount 'assumed knowledge' by those individuals in our government who make important decisions. Some of which affect us deeply. Pensions, the health service, energy costs. The list goes on and on.

Can we trust those elected to stand down on decisions, if that individual has no background or real understanding of the subject in question, or does the arrogance of losing face stand in the way of honesty.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a far more fundamental question to be asked.

What are the credentials, experience and background of those who made this decision.

We do seem to have a considerable amount 'assumed knowledge' by those individuals in our government who make important decisions. Some of which affect us deeply. Pensions, the health service, energy costs. The list goes on and on.

Can we trust those elected to stand down on decisions, if that individual has no background or real understanding of the subject in question, or does the arrogance of losing face stand in the way of honesty.

hear hear

We should be very worried about all the work that Green Light has off the Island. If they now have none on the Island how long are they going to stick around ? We all know what it costs to get on and off the Island and whatever the rights or wrongs of giving the TT to somebody else losing Greenlight would be the end of an industry on the Isle of Man and an option other than the finance sector for our kids...

You've been an electrician, a chimney sweep, a baker or candlestick maker all your professional life, but always had a desire to become more involved in your Island community. You get elected to represent your ward, fantastic, here's a chance to make that difference you always talked about.

And then you're told you're in charge of Tourism, Health or Roads. But I don't know anything about those things you say.

Sorry they say, it's all yours, we'll give you a department of people who do know (something) about all this. All you have to do (mostly) is agree to their recommendations, I mean, you've just said you won't know any different anyway.

JOB DONE, OFF YOU GO THEN.

At least that's how it seems to me, but then again I'm just Joe public.

I think local knowledge plays a massive part in the coverage in the way of filming positions, travel to these positions (and indeed around the island during this traffic hectic period), relevent cut-aways, knowledge of the course's run, editing and voice-over/presentation.

you can just imagine it now!

Cameramen getting lost

pronuniciations of the course being said wrong

irrelevent cut-aways

parts of the course showing up in the wrong order

knowledge of the event will be the documented minimum

The list go's on and on. I think they should get Greenlight to do the job on their behalf

I don't believe the reason behind the decision was because they wanted it live, you just think how many filming positions there needs to be and having a satelite uplink near all these positions! if they were thinking of putting a microwave link system around the island to get the picture/sound back to a central control room.... that is a lot of infrastructure that would need to be put on the islands transmission masts, and for what!

One reason.... money. Cheaper in most situations is not better

Live coverage of the TT sounds great. I can just imagine the broadcasters clearing their schedules for it, as sunshine is always guaranteed in the Isle of Man! I just hope the networks aren't ever in a position to dictate whether the conditions are good enough to race or not.

I'm open-minded enough to trust those who made this decision did so for the right reasons. I hope the coverage in 2009 vindicates them.

On a personal note, I'm sad for all the staff at Greenlight and Duke Video who have put their hearts and souls into TT coverage over the years. Sure, they've been paid for it, but there's an immense pride in covering THE 'home event'. Does this also mean that the MGP and S100 won't be filmed in future - Greenlight and Duke did those as part of the bigger picture of having TT rights?

Maybe Greenlight were fleecing it for everything they could get, and got caught out?

A huge assumption maybe. But no more so than every one else posting before.

Some of 'jonnyrotten' comments are a bit 'gun to the head' esque (i.e. use us or we'll leave the Island)

I just hope that if it has come down to pounds and pence, an element of 'fiscal benefit' has been considered by those doing the decision making. Personally, i've found the previous years coverage pretty good, so this new outfit have got to go some to beat Greenlight and Co.

I don't know how these things work, but is there still a chance that Greenlight will do some of the work anyway (i.e. simlar to sub-contracting)?

If it is the case that North One were prepared to offer live coverage and Greenlight were not then it would seem the right decision to me.

The only worry is that last time live coverage was attempted the rider of the only bike with an on board camera fell off at Union Mills on his first lap. Lets hope they have more than one this time round

You've been an electrician, a chimney sweep, a baker or candlestick maker all your professional life, but always had a desire to become more involved in your Island community. You get elected to represent your ward, fantastic, here's a chance to make that difference you always talked about.

And then you're told you're in charge of Tourism, Health or Roads. But I don't know anything about those things you say.

Sorry they say, it's all yours, we'll give you a department of people who do know (something) about all this. All you have to do (mostly) is agree to their recommendations, I mean, you've just said you won't know any different anyway.

JOB DONE, OFF YOU GO THEN.

At least that's how it seems to me, but then again I'm just Joe public.

In my time in the Civil Service we used to collect together all the documents, cheques etc for the Minister to sign, which he did, never bothered checking, just put his own name to them and, on a couple of occasions, by his own admission, used to admit that most of the time he didn't know what he was signing

Remember though we don't give them these positions, they're voted into Government to represent and work for the people but become Civil Servants with their department chosen for them by the Chief Minister.

Live TV of the TT sounds great! If the whether is awsome and it is a safe event. Good job then that the whether on the isle of man is so preditable and is always dry and sunny every year at the end of may and beginning of june...and good job its a safe track where accidents dont happen....BOLL*KS I forgot...its always bl**dy misty and wet and people do tend to fall off ALOT!

It sounds like the word LIVE is getting people very excited. How many of you are going to be at home watching it at 10am on a monday...oh yeah you are at work!!! and on Wednesday aswell. So thats half of it you cant watch live!

I am looking forward to tuning in on the saturday for the Superbike race after ive just argued with the mrs who really wants to go out that it will be good to see the TT live only to see the classic fog on the mountain shot with the presenter stood on Glencrutary road under an unbrella listening to the clark of the corse make an announcment that there will be a two hour delay.

As for the accident situation...yes there would be a facility to have a 30 second / mins delay but what happens then. ok You may not have seen it but the team still have too address the fact the forth placed rider has had a big one for example! Showing a live event where people lose their lives on a regular basis...hmmmmm good luck North One!!! (If live TV has been agreed, im only goin on what people have said on here)

Same day hilights are deffinatly the way to go!!!

North One have claimed they are going to take it to a wider audience...how?

Greenlight had it on BBC NI, ITV 4, BBC Grandstand, Sky Sports, Channel 5 and over 500 Million homes around the world. Everyone who wanted it had it. (ref - jonnyrotten about sportel and mip)

Well at least the Isle of Man Govenment has local companies interests at heart. Here you had a local company with local staff producing the TV coverage for the biggest Local event we have and doing a damn good job. Great pictures, Great programs Great Voice Overs and A Great local Knowlage. Im sure North one will go a good job but they certainly wont be better, how can it be?

P.S. Im lead to believe that one the people who was on the team that made the TV decision was also on a team that came up with "shoprite - Manx to the Max" just a thought!!!

Maybe Greenlight were fleecing it for everything they could get, and got caught out?

I was told that the tender price by the Local company was in the region of £80000-00 per annum which is not a lot when you break it down.

Hire of twin engined Helicopter for two weeks, various scaffolds about the circuit, camera equipment loses, (on boards only last one race and are then scrapped off). Staff wages editing and much more and dont forget they dont produce the DVDs the work is done for Duke Ltd.

What worries me is the live broadcasting of a race, in the event of a serious accident some of the injuries are that bad that even the High Bailiff will not read them out at the inquest, Ive heard a marshal say in one case body parts were scattered about the road. Would you or you children like to witness this. Also it would be another nail in the coffin for the races here on the Island.

This years big Irish meeting was broadcast live and everyone witnessed the crash that ended Robert Dunlops life.

On a brighter note, Wales are giving TV & Film production companies that relocate to Wales a very good Tax incentive

What worries me is the live broadcasting of a race, in the event of a serious accident some of the injuries are that bad that even the High Bailiff will not read them out at the inquest, Ive heard a marshal say in one case body parts were scattered about the road. Would you or you children like to witness this.

I would as I'm sure many others would. You wouldn't be forced to watch it. You'd know the risks.

Couple of things

First - I don't see anything 'gun to the head' in what I said before, mostly because they re NOT using Greenlight. That decision has been made. So it's not a threat, just an observation.

Second, listening to the radio this morning, live appears to be an option for the future, which will probably never happen for all the obvious reasons, ie scheduling, timing (weekdays etc) and weather, never mind cost..

As for the other thing, Greenlight was following Robert Dunlop , live on the BBC, when he crashed, and no-one wants to see that happen again.

Finally, manxman, suggesting Greenlight has been caught with its hand in the till is the kind of unfounded remark that's going to get you and this forum a bad name, and you might want to think that one through a bit more carefully...

Archived