Group Set Up To Oppose Farmers' Subsidy Scheme

Tugger

Manx Radio

This caused a brief flicker of hope for me, but it turns out that there's no opposition to subsidy per se, just the manner in which the subsidy is going to be calculated.

I wonder whether farmers will end up taking more money from the taxpayer, or less, as a result of the proposed changes. The fact that a protest group has been set up at all might help me arrive at an answer, of course...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That certainly worked in NZ. Made people think outside the box and explore new markets. But generally in Europe we don't seem to think we can farm if there are no subsidies.

Manx Radio

This caused a brief flicker of hope for me, but it turns out that there's no opposition to subsidy per se, just the manner in which the subsidy is going to be calculated.

I wonder whether farmers will end up taking more money from the taxpayer, or less, as a result of the proposed changes. The fact that a protest group has been set up at all might help me arrive at an answer, of course...

Lets face it the economy is f**ked, our finance sector is in shreds, we'll be paying for our banking failures for the next 20 years, but still Farmer Palmer wants a new tractor.

Feel free to make your choice, with your money, Forbes. I'd prefer you, and our politicians, to take fewer liberties with mine.

Gosh, you can read backwards, too.

Better, though, to use your eyes to look a little further forward than you are wont to do.

S

The theory behind "de-coupling" that is removing farming subsidies is that it will encourage farmers to produce stuff that the public want to buy instead of producing what ever attracts the biggest subsidy

There are thousands of examples around the world of high quality produce which command a premium price such as Kobe beef, Poulet de Bresse chicken and even Manx asparagus

My brother is an un-subsidised organic farmer in Cornwall and he grows things like organic artichokes which they sell to Jamie Oliver's restaurant

When the restrictions on imported meat are lifted in (I think) 2011 it will be impossible for Manx farmers to compete on price so there only chance is to compete on quality, or be paid by us to watch the gorse grow

The theory behind "de-coupling" that is removing farming subsidies is that it will encourage farmers to produce stuff that the public want to buy instead of producing what ever attracts the biggest subsidy

There are thousands of examples around the world of high quality produce which command a premium price such as Kobe beef, Poulet de Bresse chicken and even Manx asparagus

My brother is an un-subsidised organic farmer in Cornwall and he grows things like organic artichokes which they sell to Jamie Oliver's restaurant

When the restrictions on imported meat are lifted in (I think) 2011 it will be impossible for Manx farmers to compete on price so there only chance is to compete on quality, or be paid by us to watch the gorse grow

The problem is that the quality market is only a small part of the total market. The larger part will be supplied by huge factory farmers from Thailand or somewhere. with probably rather lower animal welfare standards than ours. Plus all sorts of growth-promoting drugs.

It's all money and jobs off the island. Not very sensible.

S

The problem is that the quality market is only a small part of the total market. The larger part will be supplied by huge factory farmers from Thailand or somewhere. with probably rather lower animal welfare standards than ours. Plus all sorts of growth-promoting drugs.

S

My point was that we should concentrate on that small, quality market

We as a island could promote our produce as being organic & GM free and seek out the premium niche areas of the food market which are profitable

S

and there lies the problem to be honest,

uk and manx ppl are all 2 ready to jump in and open there gobs about the welfair of uk animales, ooo u have to do that o u should do that, thats not vary nice, like thay have a bloddy clue anyways, so the gov jumps, and makes rules after rules which have to be followed by the book, the cost of these alone have pushed the farmers cost to amazing levels,

but there all 2 happy to go out and buy the cheap imports at half the cost, what welfair no its fine i cant see it over there what i cant see cant hurt me .also i can live with myself cause its cheap, why buy the expensive option,

right take the subs away what u left with an open market,

how long do u think it would be b4 u coulden get any manx or british beef here, as there would noboody producing it,

so u would have to buy the real expensive stuff from a few selective produces left, or buy imports, well most will go for the imports,

so say 5-10 years down the line, 3rd worst haverst on record for the 3rd stright row, other places havent got food to feed there own let alone sell to any othere countrys,(think last year when places put export tax upto 50% and shut ports down to keep food at home) what do you do, the food thay do buy and import will be expensive, and there could be a shortage of food compleatly,

what do you do, i know u all bloody complain going ooo we should have kept the subs we could have had cheap food,

why did thay do that,

all you see if cash being given to farmers for northing,

i have said many times on here that there is a lot bigger pic than some of you narrow minded ppl see, look out of the box for once and see that food production is a major poltical pressure point, with out the farmers the world and places we live can and could become destroyed quite easly,

P.S i dont mean all you ppl are narrow mined or say that, but a lot do,

time to run and hide :ph34r:

Im not sure how many people will be nibbling Manx asparagus if the economy takes a down turn. The market could be quite small.

Archived