Overdrafts Charges Victory By Consumers

Klimp

My advice to you is to change your wifes account to be a savings account with a solo card. It is almost impossible to overdraw them, so no more charges gives her more money to spend.

How about cutting up her card and then giving her the housekeeping money in cash? Impossible to overspend that way.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My advice to you is to change your wifes account to be a savings account with a solo card. It is almost impossible to overdraw them, so no more charges gives her more money to spend.

How about cutting up her card and then giving her the housekeeping money in cash? Impossible to overspend that way.

tried the cash route - problem is, unlike a bank statement, you can't see who it goes to. she can spend what she likes, i just like to know where it went

anyway....

the point of the legislation was that the banks couldn't have a punitive charge that was inconsistent with the amount of work done. in other words, charging £25 for doing nothing (remember: no letter, no phone call etc) is naughty

however, before i go and stamp my feet, i'd like to believe that this applies over here

Why don't you just get your wife to act like an adult and take some responsibility? If you know you're going to incur these charges, crying foul about them after the fact just makes you look daft.

actually, i think the people responding to the questions are sounding daft.

my question IS NOT "what do you think of my meek attempts at budgeting?"

my question IS "does uk law in regard to punitive bank charges apply on the isle of man?"

however i incurred these charges is irrelevant. if i don't claim them back when the law now supports me because "it was my own stupid fault" - now that WOULD be dumb

if someone steals my car because i left the keys in the ignition, i don't say "fair enough, it's yours, i shouldnt left the keys in it" - der

if someone steals my car because i left the keys in the ignition, i don't say "fair enough, it's yours, i shouldnt left the keys in it" - der

Your insurance wouldn't pay out so you might as well.

How you incurred the charges is important. If you show such reckless and frivolous disregard for your incurring of charges that were published and known to you, you're actually undermining the case that genuine claimants might have. You're a poster boy for the banks because you're exactly the sort of person that doesn't have a 'hard luck' story, you're just financially incompetent and irresponsible.

Maybe the first time, but if you do it every month and the car gets nicked every month then one would think that you would quickly learn your lesson.

[edit] Ans beat me to it. There is a saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

in the past, i got charges, i figure "what the heck, i should be more careful"

then the law changes - now i think "there's £200 i can ask for, why not?" - its not as if HSBC give it to charity

exactly how do i undermine genuine claimants? - "we're sorry mr genuine, but mr shoe was far too frivolous (not to mention reckless), so you cant have your charges back, despite what the law says". can someone just tell me if the law applies over here?

in simplest terms, i asked a question, you don't know the answer, so you criticise my financial incompetence, i should be ashamed, i'm a bad person :)

Mr Shoe,

My case is with a Manx based bank, and I think there would be a fairly strong case that UK legislation would cover it as all my letters are being sent to their centralised department for this, which is back in England.

As far as getting the charges back however, the courts still seem to be holding all the claims.

If you want to read up on how people in general are getting on or look at taking matters into your own hands, I used this website

http://www.penaltychargesforum.co.uk/

I was advised to do it myself using the advice from this site as there are loads of companies who are saying they will fight for your charges back for an upfront fee. I personally know of 3 people now who have paid their money for this to be done and the companies have then disappeared overnight.

I have so far spent £11 but am presently in a waiting period now for the next deadline.

Why do people rack them up though?

'Why?' is legally irrelevant, unless perhaps you were defrauded or placed under duress (according to the legal definition) to take the action that you did. If you signed up for banking services and were notified of the fees up front and the circumstances in which they would be charged you can have no complaint when those circumstances arise and you are charged. Banks aren't exactly encouraging you to go overdrawn without agreement or they wouldn't hit you with a large penalty fee when you do.

Why do people rack them up though?

'Why?' is legally irrelevant, unless perhaps you were defrauded or placed under duress (according to the legal definition) to take the action that you did. If you signed up for banking services and were notified of the fees up front and the circumstances in which they would be charged you can have no complaint when those circumstances arise and you are charged. Banks aren't exactly encouraging you to go overdrawn without agreement or they wouldn't hit you with a large penalty fee when you do.

I agree, the 'whys' are legally irrelevent. But they could simply forget about the charging and allow their customer's to go over the limit temporarily. The current system just makes more money out of those with the least money.

Banks don't encourage you to go overdrawn without agreement but it benefits them to do so with these charges.

I agree, the 'whys' are legally irrelevent. But they could simply forget about the charging and allow their customer's to go over the limit temporarily.

That would need an agreement. Otherwise, how far overdrawn do you let them go? It is easy enough to arrange, just telephone the bank in advance. They usually say yes.

The current system just makes more money out of those with the least money.

No, it makes more money out of the stupid and weak willed. If you need the money because you have problems simply call the bank in advance.

Banks don't encourage you to go overdrawn without agreement but it benefits them to do so with these charges.

Then don't do it. Simples!!!

That would need an agreement. Otherwise, how far overdrawn do you let them go? It is easy enough to arrange, just telephone the bank in advance. They usually say yes.

What if they say no? If you are a 'no' to lending then why not set in place barriers to prevent unauthorised barriers. Is this possible? If you could arrange an authorised loan, you would call.

No, it makes more money out of the stupid and weak willed. .

If that were so then it would not be ethical. But the people aren't stupid simply because they have accrued some charges.

I would agree that the problem is circumvented by not going over that limit in the first place but if you are going to penalise people then anymore than £25 is excessive and unfair in my opinion.

Banks aren't exactly encouraging you to go overdrawn

Oh i disagree, when i was a student, I told the bank I was a student and had no income, their first response was to slap an additional £3,000 on my credit card. While I agree they did not put a gun to my head to spend it, I think it was irresponsible and pretty much encouraging me to spend it, if the facility was not there, I would not have used it.

They have brought it on themselves, a legacy of greed and lending in the hope they can swoop in on defaulting customer mortgages and houses tied to lending

f*ck them, they deserve everything they get (apart from the tax payer bailout)

Archived