Overdrafts Charges Victory By Consumers

Klimp

Got to love my bank account, I have an overdraft that unfortunately I live in, last month my bank decided to reduce my overdraft by £100 the day 3 direct debits went out and 4 days before the notification letter arrived. As a result I went £80 beyond my new "agreed" limit.

This month I have £75 worth of charges on my account £25 for each direct debit, now as I live on to my limits paying off stupid debts from my student days I will end up overdrawn again, and I will be charged again. Plus banks take the charges on the 21st 4 days before payday when accounts are at their lowest a clever tactic to catch a few people out.

Hardly a fair level of charging, and having rang them they are unwilling to remove the charges as I went beyond my "agreed" limit that I never agreed to and was not notified of.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got to love my bank account, I have an overdraft that unfortunately I live in, last month my bank decided to reduce my overdraft by £100 the day 3 direct debits went out and 4 days before the notification letter arrived. As a result I went £80 beyond my new "agreed" limit.

This month I have £75 worth of charges on my account £25 for each direct debit, now as I live on to my limits paying off stupid debts from my student days I will end up overdrawn again, and I will be charged again. Plus banks take the charges on the 21st 4 days before payday when accounts are at their lowest a clever tactic to catch a few people out.

Hardly a fair level of charging, and having rang them they are unwilling to remove the charges as I went beyond my "agreed" limit that I never agreed to and was not notified of.

Make an appointment and go and see them. If you are telling the truth the will most likely remove or reduce your charges. If they don't then change banks, and for christs sake, no more direct debits. They are the cause of most peoples bank charges problems.

I think charging anything over £10 for direct debits and cheques that won't go through and going over the limit is irresponsible.

Going over your limit is theft. It is actually illegal in some countries. The small "fine" is preferable to a criminal record, isn't it?

I think charging anything over £10 for direct debits and cheques that won't go through and going over the limit is irresponsible.

Going over your limit is theft. It is actually illegal in some countries. The small "fine" is preferable to a criminal record, isn't it?

For fuck's sake, no it isn't theft.

How do you define theft? Here you have a situation where the banks KNOWS that it customers WILL go over their limit and will be unable to meet direct debit and cheque payments. And they have established a profit-making system in order to take advantage of this situation. The bank will be paid these fees and will be paid for the extra amount overdrawn.

How do you define theft? Here you have a situation where the banks KNOWS that it customers WILL go over their limit and will be unable to meet direct debit and cheque payments. And they have established a profit-making system in order to take advantage of this situation. The bank will be paid these fees and will be paid for the extra amount overdrawn.

well thay dont know thay will go over there limit unless the person spends more than thay have,

simple really only spend what you have.

apart from scarbunny who has been shit on from a great hight by the sound of it i would talk to them in person, i know the isle of man bank has been great with me for giveing me extra when im allready at there limit, and removeing charges etc,

It is a slightt ineptness but only ineptness to maintain a balance just within an exact limit. It isn't necessarily symbolic of some gross irresponsibility with finances. It depends on the person and circumstances. Some have only passed over their limit on odd occasions. Other have regularly gone over.

Going over your limit is theft.

What utter nonsense. Removing money from your account without your permission, and without issuing a bill that you can either agree to pay or challenge seems much more like theft to me.

not really because when you sign up for it you chosse to except these terms,

so you agree to them at the start

Archived