Tomorrow's World

Miss Take

Remember laughing at Joe 90?

He's not on anymore. He was put into so many dangerous situations by his family - Social Services had a field day.

He was also a smoker...lol :P

I used to love the programme, would be great to see what has come true and what has not...

Look at Judge Dredd, 2000AD !

Remember laughing at Joe 90?

He's not on anymore. He was put into so many dangerous situations by his family - Social Services had a field day.

He was also a smoker...lol :P

I used to love the programme, would be great to see what has come true and what has not...

Look at Judge Dredd, 2000AD !

I'm still waiting for Boing® to be invented - but zorbs are pretty close.

Joe 90's glasses weren't to help his vision - he had other people's brainwaves written into his brain bythe BIGRAT computer and the glasses just activated them.

Many 'Star Trek' inventions have come to pass: Cell Phones, Wrist Phones, Phasors (oh yes), discs, computer tablets, touchscreens, holodeck (nearly there for medicine), Tricorder (for food and chemical testing) and even the transporter (photons only so far).

I'm still waiting for the 'Disruptor' though - hit a traffic warden at a range of 500 Metres, no trace evidence left, with the added bonus they die in agony :rolleyes:

Many 'Star Trek' inventions have come to pass: ... and even the transporter (photons only so far).

What's the betting that as soon as it's perfected, the Manx government award a ten-year user agreement to the Steam Packet for it. :(

Transporters produce a great philosphical/ethical dilema.

Basically they destroy "you" at location A and build "you" again at location B.

Now just change it a little bit to make it catch errors etc- make it scan you first - noting the position of every atom etc, collect this into a data base (oh heck what will Albert make of that) shoot the info off to Mars or where ever - use the database to reconstruct each atom into its position - then scan that for an error check and compare the two databases - if they match destroy the version on earth.

Would you step into such a machine - great a copy of me exists on Mars, but that isn't much consolation for you ripping me atom by atom to bits.

Many 'Star Trek' inventions have come to pass: Cell Phones, Wrist Phones, Phasors (oh yes), discs, computer tablets, touchscreens, holodeck (nearly there for medicine), Tricorder (for food and chemical testing) and even the transporter (photons only so far).

I'm still waiting for the 'Disruptor' though - hit a traffic warden at a range of 500 Metres, no trace evidence left, with the added bonus they die in agony :rolleyes:

Would that be the Varon-T disruptor? (Can't believe I remember this stuff - Geek!)

Now just change it a little bit to make it catch errors etc- make it scan you first - noting the position of every atom etc, collect this into a data base (oh heck what will Albert make of that) shoot the info off to Mars or where ever - use the database to reconstruct each atom into its position - then scan that for an error check and compare the two databases - if they match destroy the version on earth.

Would you step into such a machine - great a copy of me exists on Mars, but that isn't much consolation for you ripping me atom by atom to bits.

If you get destroyed at one place then that which turns up at the other cannot be you. It is a copy, isn't it?

That's pretty much the storyline of the film The Prestige

That's not what Star Trek transporters do - they break you into your component molecules, send the molecules (and the data to rebuild you) to whever you want to go and then reassemble you.

I'm not too sure I'd like to do that either.

Could I be remade with a bigger......

*brain

:cool:

People only generally use 10% of the brain they have John, or if they stand for council 2.5%, with the other 7.5% self-labotomised. It's a scientific fact dontyaknow.

I'm currently working in the shed on a project that will use all that spare brain space as data storage, which will save people quite a few quid buying extra disks for their computer. If you'd like to participate in the project John you first have to test to see if your brain is appropriate - *you can test that by sucking on a live kettle lead - and if your eyes light up then we'll take you on.

* Disclaimer - sucking a live kettle should only be undertaken by adult councillors, and viewers of Big Brother, Dancing on Ice and the X-factor

sorry but that old 10% of the brain phrase is a pub myth, people use 100% of their brain possibly not all at one time but it is all needed.

this myth may have come from a misinterpretation of a quote which stated that the human race had the potential for great intelligence but that only 10% of those that had it were using it. some people credit this or something similar to Einstein.

As for the transporters, I'm up for it but you can go first!

Archived