Astronomy Stuff

Chinahand

12 hours ago, ed fournier said:

Saw the Starlink satellites going across yesterday morning and again today. Pretty incredible sight.  So many of them!   If you haven’t seen them yet, Sunday morning will hopefully be clear. Set your alarm...

https://www.heavens-above.com/AllPassesFromLaunch.aspx?lat=54.2361&lng=-4.5481&loc=Isle+of+Man&alt=0&tz=GMT

I failed to get up in time but I'd have thought it would have been perfect this morning. Seen some pretty cool pics of these, maybe tomorrow I'll see them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 9:25 PM, ed fournier said:

Saw the Starlink satellites going across yesterday morning and again today. Pretty incredible sight.  So many of them!   If you haven’t seen them yet, Sunday morning will hopefully be clear. Set your alarm...

https://www.heavens-above.com/AllPassesFromLaunch.aspx?lat=54.2361&lng=-4.5481&loc=Isle+of+Man&alt=0&tz=GMT

These things are wiping out the capabilities of dozens of ground based telescopes. Should be banned.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, what would happen if another star, wandering the Milky Way, drifted into our solar system?

Andrew M. Webb has a great twitter feed.  Including this animation which shows the destruction of Jupiter; and the Earth and Saturn ending up pulled from the solar system and kidnapped by the rouge wandering star.

Edited by Chinahand

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Hi there, CH what is the big bright star in the sort of SW ? Also the one to it's left approx. South...........ta

Maybe you are seeing Venus and Procyon

I use Star View Lite

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Hi there, CH what is the big bright star in the sort of SW ? Also the one to it's left approx. South...........ta

It’s some creepy bastard shining a torch through your bedroom window.

• Haha 1

Didn't see this last night, but the bright star you are seeing in the South West is almost certainly the planet Venus.

Heaven's above chart for Castletown - put the time in for 21:30 or so and you'll clearly see Venus.

I suspect the one you are seeing to the South is Sirius - it is the brightest star in the sky, but I'm not sure. Look for Orion's belt (3 stars in a line) to the east of it.

Anyone on here have  BOINC installed on their laptops etc..? You can get involved in a number of Astronomy based projects, as well as Physics, Astrophysics, Medical Research.

I first got involved with it it the late 1990's with Seti@home, that was the forerunner of distributed computing. That project has just stopped sending out work. But from  that the BOINC  (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) platform was developed so that you could run multiple projects at once.

BOINC Projects list

2 hours ago, Twosheds said:

Anyone on here have  BOINC installed on their laptops etc..? You can get involved in a number of Astronomy based projects, as well as Physics, Astrophysics, Medical Research.

I first got involved with it it the late 1990's with Seti@home, that was the forerunner of distributed computing. That project has just stopped sending out work. But from  that the BOINC  (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) platform was developed so that you could run multiple projects at once.

BOINC Projects list

I used to go, Boinc, boinc, boinc when I had a Pogo Stick 50 years ago.