Astronomy Stuff

Chinahand

19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I take it everyone knows you can see a comet at the moment yeah? Cos you can, with your eyes. Binos are better, I wish I had a telescope.

2am apparently...at the north of the island. Follow it to see a new MHK or two elected in Sept....though you'll probably get wet feet.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

2am apparently...at the north of the island. Follow it to see a new MHK or two elected in Sept....though you'll probably get wet feet.

You can see it from the South too, but it's quite low in the sky, so you need to be in the right place. I went out to St Michaels Isle.  I'd imagine being up somewhere like Guthries would be good, or the point.

• Thanks 1

It's visible basically looking North from midnight onwards - you can find details here for Castletown.

We went out to view it at 2 in the morning last Friday night, Saturday morning.

The clouds were coming in and my youngest couldn't get his camera to work ... ah the delights of teenagers, but my eldest took this which catches the night well.

Sadly the comet was already in a slight haze of cloud and within 10 minutes it thickened and wasn't seen again, but we enjoyed Jupiter and Saturn, a fly by of the ISS and various satellites, and one really odd and unexplainable flare of what I can only assume were two geostationary satellites, but which is still a mystery - aliens!

As we headed home the moon rose, a thinnest of thin sickles so low on the horizon it was rusted orange rather than the usual silver.

A night I hope to remember for the rest of my life.

2680794_cometedit-Copy5.thumb.png.6682d214ad5fcb4d1a5dbdd687e39a96.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As I had been chiming on about stars and planets, my better half bought me a telescope for Christmas. Nothing top end just something to get me started. Work commitments meant I have been unable to use this until tonight. No matter what combination of lenses I use, I can see absolutely nothing. The telescope is a F40070M if that helps. Any tips, gratefully received

5 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

As I had been chiming on about stars and planets, my better half bought me a telescope for Christmas. Nothing top end just something to get me started. Work commitments meant I have been unable to use this until tonight. No matter what combination of lenses I use, I can see absolutely nothing. The telescope is a F40070M if that helps. Any tips, gratefully received

Take the lens cap off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2