Thinking Of Moving Over - Advice Please

Miss Take

you can usually only tell that people are from across if they make it blindingly obvious by attitude or comments (some people really do deserve it)

Absolutely true but that's no excuse to have a go at all comeovers like one or two on here do. (Life is much easier thinking black&white though....)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey, didnt think my innocent comments would cause so much (or is it Mass) debate Lolx Thanks to all of you who sent me real responses and web sites to check, very helpful, hope to maybe meet a few of you soon.

Crikey, didnt think my innocent comments would cause so much (or is it Mass) debate Lolx Thanks to all of you who sent me real responses and web sites to check, very helpful, hope to maybe meet a few of you soon.

go for it chiquita, life is what you make it and you have a better chance of making that life here than a big city, i came here in 1987 for the summer season fell in love with the way of life here and the beautiful scenery, isle of man is home for me :D

I'm also thinking of moving to the isle of man after a job offer, i'm born and bred in stornoway, isle of lewis I know a lot of you won't know what life is like in lewis compared to man but how different would it be, I know i won't have my extended family near me like i do in lewis but other than that . AKA i know all about getting ferries to the mainland the only place to buy cd's being wooolies (now gone) etc.

I'm also thinking of moving to the isle of man after a job offer, i'm born and bred in stornoway, isle of lewis I know a lot of you won't know what life is like in lewis compared to man but how different would it be,

Well for a start the airport is open on sundays as are most shops (I remember Stornaway when the only thing open on Sunday was the one petrol station!) and that nearly everyone on the street was carrying a little black book - not sure the curry restaurants are as good as yours however. The weather is I suspect somewhat kinder but the traffic is considerably worse - the Western Isles Gaelic language scene has no real equivalent on the Island.

Well we have HMV, so that's an improvement. And if you get homesick for closed Woolies-es we've got one of those.

Try this thread. In amongst the bickering there are few posts that contrast Island Life here and in the Scottish Islands.

cheers for the link

sounds like she may be living the northern isle's I certainley don't know of any business in lewis like that and for the person asking about lews college it is in stornoway not benbecula. stornoway has a population of about 8000 albeit it rapidly leaving for better places but the island is about 20,000 pop, uist has a combined popuation of around 8,000 and the biggest village (it has no towns) has a population of less than 2,000

I'm also thinking of moving to the isle of man after a job offer, i'm born and bred in stornoway, isle of lewis I know a lot of you won't know what life is like in lewis compared to man but how different would it be,

Well for a start the airport is open on sundays as are most shops (I remember Stornaway when the only thing open on Sunday was the one petrol station!) and that nearly everyone on the street was carrying a little black book - not sure the curry restaurants are as good as yours however. The weather is I suspect somewhat kinder but the traffic is considerably worse - the Western Isles Gaelic language scene has no real equivalent on the Island.

our airport is open on a sunday now (still no ferry though), after popular demand expressed mainly by comeovers, tookover the comhairle (local talibanesque controlled council) the one petrol station that opened on a sunday had to endure a blacklist from the church but they seem to be busier than ever.

you must have had the seagull korma at ali's on the main street

Do you call them "come-overs" in Lewis as well?

nah we call them febs or sassenach's in the main unless they aren't wankers trying to change the place , then we get on with them but generally we use the term incomers

you must have had the seagull korma at ali's on the main street

Not quite - I'm mostly veggie when it comes to curry - excellent meals - could see why it was full - hope he's still going as it was a few years ago now.

unless they aren't wankers trying to change the place

That's interesting. A lot of people like the Isle of Man because they percive it hasn't changed. Why move to somewhere like Lewis and try and change it? Defeats the purpose in my view.

Anyway, why are people leaving?

Archived