Thinking Of Moving Over - Advice Please

Miss Take

Im british so am used to the rain but my reason for leaving the uk initially were the high crime rate and the governments immigration policy.

You are aware of the irony that if you move here you will be an immigrant.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im british so am used to the rain but my reason for leaving the uk initially were the high crime rate and the governments immigration policy.

You are aware of the irony that if you move here you will be an immigrant.

At least ill be legal, willing to pay may way and not expect any freebies!!!!

You're not legal to work here til you get a work permit - unlucky.

Dont worry, Im not intending to take anybodys job either, just looking for a better environment for my kid to grow up in thats all. Im not a racist, just got a bit a nervous when I woke up one day to find I was living next to a terrorist bomb factory in my nice surburban home in Leeds, that coupled with the fact that my neighbour was killed for refusing to hand over his carkeys to a group of asian youths. Kinda makes you view policies and people a little differently. Are the majority of manx people really that unaccepting of the brits?

Seriously though, any real comments would be appreciated, the government crime stats and things on the forum seem quite conflicting, would rather hear the views of real people before making a decision to come and have a look see. Im british so am used to the rain but my reason for leaving the uk initially were the high crime rate and the governments immigration policy.

Last time I was in Gibraltar it was a total shithole where the governments immigration policy seemed to be geared towards Russian money launderers and perma tanned fuckwits from Essex ... the Isle of Man can't possibly be worse

Oh! Well quite the same opposite as most immigrants to the UK then.

Fixed

Are the majority of manx people really that unaccepting of the brits?

Actually we are very accepting of British people. We let lots of them live here. The problem you have come up against is that you seem to have suspect motives for coming here. You see the Island had a bad experience in the eighties with people who came over because they didn't like the way the UK was going and moved here thinking they were moving to an England of 20 years before. This had two problems they found it difficult to recognise that Manx and English are not the same and more importantly they became very resistant to progress fearing "we'll end up like England" and the Island stagnated. All your talk about the evils of immigration is reminiscent of the bad old days.

Dont worry, Im not intending to take anybodys job either, just looking for a better environment for my kid to grow up in thats all. Im not a racist, just got a bit a nervous when I woke up one day to find I was living next to a terrorist bomb factory in my nice surburban home in Leeds, that coupled with the fact that my neighbour was killed for refusing to hand over his carkeys to a group of asian youths. Kinda makes you view policies and people a little differently. Are the majority of manx people really that unaccepting of the brits?

Understandable why you moved away. However, immigration policies are not where the root of the problem lies.

Manx people are accepting of British people. Very little difference between a Manx person and a English person to make any animosity appear seem serious to most people with nationalistic tendencies. In any case, the Manx have had to be accepting of British people, there hasn't been much choice about it.

You're not legal to work here til you get a work permit - unlucky.

Come on now 'Chiquita' You and I know theres no way you can deny it, oh.oh,oh,oh, theres no room for you here no-ow:)

Sorry couldn't resist it :D

Are the majority of manx people really that unaccepting of the brits?

Actually we are very accepting of British people. We let lots of them live here. The problem you have come up against is that you seem to have suspect motives for coming here. You see the Island had a bad experience in the eighties with people who came over because they didn't like the way the UK was going and moved here thinking they were moving to an England of 20 years before. This had two problems they found it difficult to recognise that Manx and English are not the same and more importantly they became very resistant to progress fearing "we'll end up like England" and the Island stagnated. All your talk about the evils of immigration is reminiscent of the bad old days.

OK thanks for that - just speaking from personal experience - I can see where you are coming from, I worked in local government (benefit fraud) in the uk so I guess my views are a little tarnished. My motives arent suspect, I just want a safer environment to bring up my child and my maternal grandfather is of Manx descent which is why it ended up on the list, anyway, I guess I need to make the trip over to see for myself if the beautiful "safe" environment that I recall from my childhood is just a rose tinted memory. Yhanks everyone for your comments.

A few positives and negatives about the Island -

+ No speed limit on the open roads (out of town)

- Lots of carnage esp. TT fortnight

+ Low crime rate

- Sod all to read about in the local rags (bar the odd scouser bunged with class A who gets made to bring the stuff over by Mr Big in Murkeyside or else his family are gonna geddit - yawn)

+ High crime detection rate

- You can't get away with anything

+ Plenty of outdoor type things to do

- Not a lot of indoory type things to do (Theatre's quite nice though)

+ Lovely scenery

- Rains a lot (not as much as in England though)

+ Plenty of UK immigrants (reffered to as "comeovers" by the locals), usually hard working types here on merit

- Plenty of UK immigrants (reffered to as drugdealers by everyone), usually LFC tattooed scumbags en route to Jurby clink

+ Easy access to the mainland (referred to as "accross" by the locals)

- Easy access from the mainland (referred to as 'ome by aforementioned drugdealing miscreants)

+ Low income tax

- Not enough money in the coffers for the government to squander

Don't worry about the Manx lot (they're a minority anyway).

Seriously though it's a great place for bringing up kids but try before you buy - i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck

I don't know whether you mean the immigration policies are too tight in the UK. I assume not.

Well the Manx don't agree too much with the immigration policies of the government: too many English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh. You will have to be prepared for quite a bit of racism on the Island if you are British.

Well on a more serious note (that this thread seems far from)

I'm English and have never had a problem here, infact I get asked if i'm Manx, because there are so many English, Scottish, Irish and welsh etc the accent is watered down quite a bit, the only real "manx" people now just seem to have a scouse accent and I can't tell a scouser from a Manxie now! :lol:

The only issue i've seen that Manx people have is the likes of the Polish who they class as "foriegners", despite the fact the all English etc are exactly the same!

The island is what it is, it has its quirks and its downfalls the same as anywhere else, have a holiday here and see what you think.

Archived