Building Falling Down

immortalpuppet

....and now the house next door has been droppped too.

Why? that was declared safe etc... suppose it would mean less costs to the property owner, as no need to waterproof etc the party walls etc. But I feel sorry for the property next door.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I asked the question actually, John

Yesterday:

312w.th.jpg

Today:

333l.th.jpg

However, it could have been a typical knee-jerk reaction.

May as well knock the whole block down . . . . then every house in Douglas over 80 years old . . .

It appears that all owners of houses on the Corpy's delapidation lhave just been contacted.

tip:- buy shares in JCK!

I don't think I asked the question actually.

Odd how they didn't leave any of the front wall of the first property. It's normal to leave that up supporting the next property, like they have when they took the second down.

I'm pretty sure that 63 was also "abandoned" so it could have been a case of bring it down now rather than causing more disruption later when it collapses. Also avoiding any potential risk to passers by. Probably quite a sensible move in the long run.

However, it could have been a typical knee-jerk reaction.

....or both houses could be owned by the same person......who took the opportunity to have 'em both knocked down.

Sod compulsory purchase if a house has been empty for a set amount of years, 5-10 maybe, and the owner cant be found then it should be taken into cooperation housing stock. There are so many properties sitting empty that could be used for social housing, or even as affordable housing.

Oh finding the owner isn't the problem, so I doubt you'll find many takers for that.

What would you do about houses that are turned down but just left as wasted and ugly overgrowing plots like the end of Tynwald Street?

I understand that it's Douglas Borough Council responsible for the dilapidated properties in Douglas not the Government, as such.

The property owners are responsible, not the Corpy, They just produce a list and take the legal action to get the property to an acceptable standard.

Or not....

Turns out the owner of the building is pretty happy with the way things have turnt out, he has been trying for years to get permission to knock them down but has had no luck. He is also happy to pay the bill as well seen as this is the out come he was after.

Turns out the owner of the building is pretty happy with the way things have turnt out, he has been trying for years to get permission to knock them down but has had no luck. He is also happy to pay the bill as well seen as this is the out come he was after.

Course he is. He's probably allowed them to fall into disrepair, putting the neighbors property at risk, because he disagreed with planning decision.

This is the point I made earlier, planning needs to get teeth. If the buildings falling into disrepair, and planning has decided it should be refurbished not demolished, there should be powers to make it so.

I agree that the planners should have been able to do something a lot sooner, although I cant see the policy that would have stopped them from allowing the demolition in the first place. The building was not registered and it is not in a conservation area, there is no reason to have stopped him really.

Yes there should be more of an incentive for him to have wanted to refurbish the building but seen as taxes make it more appealing to rebuild I can understand where he is coming from.

Archived