Building Falling Down

immortalpuppet

If I can see that and you can see that, how come the government cannot? or do they just turn a blind eye for a tenner (or trip to Disney or wherever.....)?

Like I asked you earlier, what can the government do about it?

About the only solution I can think of is to force a mandatory sale or compulsory purchase by the government, but you'd have to discount massively to achieve that or put a lot of public money in. There was a scheme of compulsory purchase a few years ago around Allen street, but it ran out of dosh pretty quick.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I can see that and you can see that, how come the government cannot? or do they just turn a blind eye for a tenner (or trip to Disney or wherever.....)?

Like I asked you earlier, what can the government do about it?

About the only solution I can think of is to force a mandatory sale or compulsory purchase by the government, but you'd have to discount massively to achieve that or put a lot of public money in. There was a scheme of compulsory purchase a few years ago around Allen street, but it ran out of dosh pretty quick.

In Jersey there's a law that basically prohibits owners leaving buildings to rot. I can't remember exactly what the details are but IIRC it's in the owners best interests to either sell it cheaply or do it up and let it out, or the Govt compulsory purchases it at a low price.

Edited to add: PSM is full of empty buildings owned by the same f'cker who won't do anything with them. They just sit there empty and sad.

In Jersey there's a law that basically prohibits owners leaving buildings to rot. I can't remember exactly what the details are but IIRC it's in the owners best interests to either sell it cheaply or do it up and let it out, or the Govt compulsory purchases it at a low price.

I can see the benefit, but there's times when it could be unfair. Like in the example above if you own the place but can't afford to do it up and it doesn't qualify for grants, like most of lower douglas.

Grrrr. Bloody DTL. I called the "Welcome Centre" to find out what route the X1 would run tonight if Circular Road was shut. Told all stops serviced apart from the last one on Circular Road. It would turn down St Georges then turn onto Athol Street. Only for the bus not to turn up.

I can see the benefit, but there's times when it could be unfair. Like in the example above if you own the place but can't afford to do it up and it doesn't qualify for grants, like most of lower douglas.

If you cannot afford the upkeep of your housing stock, maybe you shouldn't have one. Stop playing awkward you know exactly what should be done, it's just no-one wants to upset the greedy rich. I don't see many owner occupiers in these dying buildings, ooooh sometimes you makes me cross with your stupid comments.

Edit : BTW regards PSM's empty homes - the guy is dead so maybe things will improve now, his son sounds like an alright kind of bloke.

THIS is exactly why old properties should not be allowed to be let to ruin. Well I suppose it will save the developer demolishing costs. How long before the house at the junction between Ballaquayle Road and Woodbourne Road collapses? Windows left open to assist the natural rotting, its a sin.

I've complained to the authorities about the one next to us (near Circular Road) which has been empty for 18 years, boarded up windows, holes in the roof but no one will do anything about it. Hope the bloody place doesn't collapse while we're out in our yard...... Obviously the policy is to do absolutely nothing until they fall down. wtf?

I've just been told by JCK that the demoltion will be starting shortly, the plant is about to leave the depot and will be working through the night.

Oh great I live 100 yards away :o:o Id better get me earplugs in !!!!

did I hear on the radio that demolition has been delayed because of bats roosting there ?

will circular road be closed for the next 6 months ? :lol:

Can't really blame them.

Would you want to start work and suddenly have Bruce Wayne swoop down and kick the shit out of you?

No thanks

did I hear on the radio that demolition has been delayed because of bats roosting there ?

Can't really blame them.

Would you want to start work and suddenly have Bruce Wayne swoop down and kick the shit out of you?

No thanks

Wouldn't mind Vicki Vale though...

sipa_basinger_080611_ssv.jpg

Yeh I heard that on the news too, work has had to stop because of bats roosting there.

Archived