Kebab(ish?)

keyboarder

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their large lamb doner and shish effort is very impressive , its more of a giant chappati/naan type bread and rolled up fajita stylee . The doner meat was fresh off the elephant leg rather than festering in a nasty little pot and the shish meat was nicely spiced and very tasty . A mate had the large seek kebab and said that was excellent too . The chilli sauce has got a decent kick to it as well . Definitely recommended.

Don't be tempted by the masala chips though , basically , chips sprinkled with a bit of paprika and red masala type spice , not really worth the 50p extra that they charge for em.

The doner meat was fresh off the elephant leg

That doesn't sound very shawarma like, which is a pity. But thanks for the reply...... ; )

Is shawarma just another name for shish ? The shish meat is proper chunks of marinated lamb which is then cooked on the griddle . The seek kebab looks like a turd on a stick .

Is shawarma just another name for shish ? The shish meat is proper chunks of marinated lamb which is then cooked on the griddle .

No. Shawarma as I know it is constructed on a vertical spit in a similar way to a doner, and cooked using the same equipment with shavings of meat taken off as they cook. But rather than the pressed processed meat and other stuff of the doner, shawarma is built up out of unprocessed cuts of lamb or chicken. They are, in my experience, vastly superior, and I do enjoy the occasional doner.

No. Shawarma as I know it is constructed on a vertical spit in a similar way to a doner, and cooked using the same equipment with shavings of meat taken off as they cook. But rather than the pressed processed meat and other stuff of the doner, shawarma is built up out of unprocessed cuts of lamb or chicken. They are, in my experience, vastly superior, and I do enjoy the occasional doner.

Unfortunatly those type of Kebab meats are Rare on the Island :whistling: ,

No seriously i have had that style of kebab but never on the island which is a shame maybe Kebabish could corner the market for pucka kebabs made from real meat and not made from mechanically recovered mush

Well, I decided to sample a large chicken doner from said establishment and I can only say that whilst not altogether unpleasant, it was certainly a curious affair. The first eyebrow raiser was the appearance of the chicken on the spit. From where it had been sliced through, one could see that the chicken pieces were of two different colours - pale on the inside, and red on the outside, similar to chicken tikka pieces at Indian restaurants. Not something I've ever seen in a shawarma. One would have to ask the chef whether this colour is achieved with food colouring or not, however, I didn't bother, I just ordered one with everything on after ascertaining they had both garlic and chilli sauces.

The next surprise upon getting the dish home was the choice of bread used, not an option I was given when ordering. It appeared to have been served in a small piece of Turkish or Persian rug, the sort you get badgered endlessly to purchase for very good price in the bazaars of those countries, but on closer inspection this proved to be a naan bread. I didn't care for this, the bread was the dominant feature of the kebab, very dry, and whilst being very thick was still unable to effectively contain the filling which spilled out everywhere. A novelty too far, in my opinion, if I was to invest in another of these I would insist on a pitta bread.

And then there was the absence of garlic sauce. The chilli was lovely, but rather than garlic sauce it had been served with a minty raita. Very nice actually, lovely fresh balance to the chilli heat, but having gone through the motions of product identification on ordering, just a tad annoying. This kebab struck me as a slight mish-mash of cultures. I wouldn't go out of my way to get another one, but all in all not too bad. However, the first establishment to start doing lamb and chicken shawarmas in a proper Middle Eastern style will get a lot of custom from me.

Is this the kebab that they keep bombarding everyone with adverts for on Energy FM?

I can't remember the details, only that it's tiresome to have to keep hearing about a kebab on the radio. Is it really that good?

Archived