Sky+ Hd Box

Miss Take

is knackered.

Got home and turned it on and I got the 'no satellite signal is being received screen'. Bollocks, I think, and do the whole switch it off for a few minutes thing. This time when it comes on, I just get the blue screen of death. Nothing now works, even the standby button.

I've tried keeping it off for half an hour anf then plugging in, leaving for 15 mins and then trying it and still nothing.

I've heard there's a system reboot that you can do (which is a last resort thingy as I'd hate to wipe the stuff I have recorded).

Anyone have any ideas before I ring the sky 'help'line?

I've heard there's a system reboot that you can do (which is a last resort thingy as I'd hate to wipe the stuff I have recorded).

Is it the same as the sky+ one? I've had to do it once or twice:

Forced reset and software upgrade: Unplug the Sky box, press and hold the the 'Back Up' button on the box, plug the box back in, and after about ten secs the box will come on and display a warning message not to turn the box off. The box will then go online and update to the lastest software.

Full wipe and reset: Unplug the Sky box, press and hold both left and right arrows, plug back into mains, the record light should show at which point you release the left and right and press the centre select. This nukes everything, including your recorded stuff.

If neither of these work, you've prolly got a goosed hdd.

Humm - I did that forced reset thingy and it didn't boot up. But a minute later I notived that it had started to record. Now it's working. It's been pretty temperamental over the past few weeks - I'm not impressed with it at all.

Humm - I did that forced reset thingy and it didn't boot up. But a minute later I notived that it had started to record. Now it's working. It's been pretty temperamental over the past few weeks - I'm not impressed with it at all.

They're highly sensitive to heat. You've got to make sure they're in a well ventilated space, have the vents clear of obstruction, they're not sat on anything else hot like an xbox 360 and hoover the vents out every few months. It's not a coincidence that they always seem to break on sunny days!

They're highly sensitive to heat. You've got to make sure they're in a well ventilated space, have the vents clear of obstruction, they're not sat on anything else hot like an xbox 360 and hoover the vents out every few months. It's not a coincidence that they always seem to break on sunny days!

.....says the man who doesn't have sky TV.

I've had Sky+ for about 7 years and have never had to hoover it out once.

What does need doing once in a while is the card needs removing and cleaning as the box seems to suck dust into the card slot which causes strange things to happen. Slim was right about the reset things you can try though.

i have a samsung manufactured sky+ box the quality is nowhere near as good as my previous Sky+ box.

problems i have had are, poor remote signal meaning i have had to turn down tv brightness, regarded fix for this is fitting a magic eye which is pretty poor. In 3 months i have had 4 programmes record but fail to play which never happened with any other sky+ box i have had.

[smugtwatmode] Thank fook for my £3 per month warranty, I'm now on my fourth box (thankfully they just replace them instead of repair them) but the Hard drives are crap and do corrupt on a very regular basis. [\End=smugtwatmode]

[smugtwatmode] Thank fook for my £3 per month warranty, I'm now on my fourth box (thankfully they just replace them instead of repair them) but the Hard drives are crap and do corrupt on a very regular basis. [\End=smugtwatmode]

I replaced the hard disk in mine myself. Wasn't tricky and I got ooodles of space.

I have about 3 months warranty left on my HD box, and so far have had the box replaced once.

My box was suddenly rebooting, recordings would be cutoff half way through with Powercut being labelled on it.

Sometimes after this the screen would display the "No satellite signal" message, so I would have to unplug power for a few mins.This kept fixing it for a day or so if I was lucky.

Other things I tried were the different resets and forced software updates

I caved after putting up with this for a few months, rang Sky and got a new box out of them.

is knackered.

Got home and turned it on and I got the 'no satellite signal is being received screen'. Bollocks, I think, and do the whole switch it off for a few minutes thing. This time when it comes on, I just get the blue screen of death. Nothing now works, even the standby button.

I've tried keeping it off for half an hour anf then plugging in, leaving for 15 mins and then trying it and still nothing.

If you get the 'no satellite' message - this can be down to dodgy coax connections, water in the coax, or a faulty LNB.

Archived