Proof That Cycling Is Bad For You

Sebrof

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o dear slim

Like I give a fuck, I'm snipped :)

Sebrof, this isn't proof that cycling is bad for you. Do you have difficulty reading? This shows that 'elite' cycling more than 180 miles a week when also training for a triathlon may be bad for your sperm: "all triathletes had less than 10% of normal-looking sperm", it's the training regime, not specifically the cycling.

o dear slim

Like I give a fuck, I'm snipped :)

Sebrof, this isn't proof that cycling is bad for you. Do you have difficulty reading? This shows that 'elite' cycling more than 180 miles a week when also training for a triathlon may be bad for your sperm: "all triathletes had less than 10% of normal-looking sperm", it's the training regime, not specifically the cycling.

Question for you, Slim.

If they didn't cycle, would they have more sperm?

S

It isn't just a problem for male cyclists. Many top competitors risk infertility in their quest for success, such as the women in THIS ARTICLE

The summarising quote is probably: Sport is generally considered a healthy pastime as long as people take certain precautions to avoid injury. But top sport takes physical exercise to the extreme, and in the pursuit of a gold medal, athletes find themselves walking a tightrope between maximum achievement and compromising their health.

Indeed, only recently the doctor told me that if I continue to 'do it' too much, I will have a very low sperm count and might even go blind. Since then I've tried to restrain myself as much as possible. Well at least when I'm on the bus...

Maybe its a case of Karma. Lots of cyclists (not all) are very rude and seem to think that they have more rights to use the pavements than pedestrians. Or maybe its because certain parts of the anatomy aren't working as they should be that causes them to be so grouchy.

Well at least we now know that it is not because they have high testosterone levels!

Perhaps not a bad thing at all, as it will eventually put a halt to the genes that have caused the proliferation of lycra clad pushbikers wizzing around.

If they didn't cycle, would they have more sperm?

S

That's not easy to answer from this research. It's a very limited set (15 triathletes) of elite sportsmen who cycle, swim and ride. The research simply showed that those who cycled more than others hand lower counts. Not really conclusive. It's pretty well established that certain conditions lead to low sperm counts, and long and hard traniing on a bike is obviously going to have an impact. This isn't proof that cycling is bad for you, nice try on the troll, but no cigar.

It's pretty well established that certain conditions lead to low sperm counts, and long and hard traniing on a bike is obviously going to have an impact. This isn't proof that cycling is bad for you, nice try on the troll, but no cigar.

So those blokes at the gym pedalling away like mad, going nowhere may be dropping their sperm count. Hope for us outdoor types yet!

Maybe its a case of Karma. Lots of cyclists (not all) are very rude and seem to think that they have more rights to use the pavements than pedestrians. Or maybe its because certain parts of the anatomy aren't working as they should be that causes them to be so grouchy.

I'm not sure that it's always the case that it's wrong and unsafe to use the pavement. Take Peel Road, the surface there is so shitty you'd have to ride further into the centre to be able to avoid the potholes and crappy grids, but at the same time cars along there don't seem to give cyclists much room. Yet the pavement is wide and smooth with very few pedestrians. Wouldn't it be better for the cyclists to ride, slowly and remaining alert for pedestrians, along on the pavement.

What a silly thread to start Sebrof. I know you have a vendetta going on with Slim - and often I actually find myself on your side of your tit-for-tat arguments - but this is pretty pathetic to be honest and smacks of the actions of someone who is taking their forum life much too seriously.

I'm not sure that it's always the case that it's wrong and unsafe to use the pavement. Take Peel Road, the surface there is so shitty you'd have to ride further into the centre to be able to avoid the potholes and crappy grids, but at the same time cars along there don't seem to give cyclists much room. Yet the pavement is wide and smooth with very few pedestrians. Wouldn't it be better for the cyclists to ride, slowly and remaining alert for pedestrians, along on the pavement.

Yes I take your point, but would it really harm them to remember their manners once in a while. Most are all too keen to force the pedestrian into walking on the road

Archived