Epilepsy

Miss Take

This is probably a stupid idea but.

I have an epileptic dog. He has fits every couple of weeks despite being on heavy medication. When he goes into a fit he makes a kind of strangled yelping noise that sounds like he's in pain. The vet says that he's actually unconscious by the time he starts fitting. When he comes out of it, he's very dazed and stumbles around crashing into things.

I know that canine epilepsy can't really be compared to human epilepsy, but I'm really interested in finding out what it's like for a human when they fit, ie can you tell when a seizure is coming, do you experience any of it or lose consciousness before it really kicks in and how do you feel afterwards?

Is anyone able and willing to share any info?

Ta

Josie

I have an epileptic dog. He has fits every couple of weeks despite being on heavy medication. When he goes into a fit he makes a kind of strangled yelping noise that sounds like he's in pain. The vet says that he's actually unconscious by the time he starts fitting. When he comes out of it, he's very dazed and stumbles around crashing into things.

I know that canine epilepsy can't really be compared to human epilepsy, but I'm really interested in finding out what it's like for a human when they fit, ie can you tell when a seizure is coming, do you experience any of it or lose consciousness before it really kicks in and how do you feel afterwards?

Ta

Josie

I can only advise on what people have witnessed prior to someone having a fit or seizure. The words I have heard used are 'dazed, withdrawn, confused, restless'. Some have an increase in appetite other decrease. Sometimes there can be no warning. As epilepsy in both humans & animal is caused by uncoordinated firing of the neurons within a portion of the brain called the cerebrum, it is quite likely that the pre-warnings are very similar. Hope this helps.

Ta

Josie

id be haveing it put down, cant be vary nice for the dog

Is it really affecting its quality of life that badly?

My mum's pug has a fit now and again, but then it is 'right as rain' after that, playing about with the others and is a happy little thing. Would seem drastic to kill it.

My mum's pug has a fit now and again, but then it is 'right as rain' after that, playing about with the others and is a happy little thing. Would seem drastic to kill it.

You wouldnt have a fitting human put down would you!

My mum also had a pug dog, funny little buggers hey!

My dog has a fit every so often. She usually gets off the sofa and tries to walk up the stairs, then she has a fit either on the stairs or at the top. She tenses up and starts shaking. Me or dad usually pick her up and take back to the sofa. but she cant lie down properly because she is so rigid. Afterwards she look like "wtf was that" she goes back to being normal.

I've witnessed a couple of people have an attack. I knew ( bar one ) they suffered from it but the speed of onset was frighteningly quick. A second or two if that and they were away - may be different in others.

Close friends and relatives get to recognise the warning signs, usually in the eyes in the cases I've known but there's no time really.

Afterwards some were unaware of what had happened.

Some were dazed and confused and one usually went into a deep sleep.

Just my personal experience as a witness.

May be different for others.

You wouldnt have a fitting human put down would you!

My mum also had a pug dog, funny little buggers hey!

i better not answer that

It's definitely not chocolate that does it. Apart from the fact that I don't let him eat it, he's had loads of blood tests to search for causes. Basically when they can't find that anything else is causing fits, they call it epilepsy.

gazza, it's definitely something i've thought about, but as long as his overall quality of life is good, I wouldn't have him put down. At the moment, his fits only take up an hour or two every couple of weeks or so. I don't know though how much his medication affects him, he isn't the same dog he was before he was on it, that's for sure and eventually all the pills will damage his liver.

It's definitely not chocolate that does it.

Good luck anyway, I would never have a dog put down unless he's suffering. There are one or two forum members I would send on a one-way trip to the local vet though :) .

I know that canine epilepsy can't really be compared to human epilepsy,

The Medication given to dogs is the same as the one given to humans, so i'm led to believe.

Usually it takes some time to find the right dosage for the dog, so hopefully you find the right one soon. A bit of trial and error thing but the only way forward i'm afraid.

I know an Epileptic who feels them coming on and then goes off to a safe place to fit. Not the greatest idea but she feels embarresed having them in front of people.

Hope you get sorted soon.

I have epilepsy and so does my dog (I guess I am a sucker for punishment!)

I haven't had a seizure in a long time but when I did, I would get a strange metallic taste in my mouth beforehand, which is called an aura. During the seizure I would know nothing about it, but would feel exhausted when I 'came to' as it were. I found having an hours sleep would help and I would feel fine afterwards.

Any type of anti epileptic medication is sedative by nature, but your body builds up a kind of resistance to it and after about a year, you just don't notice it anymore.

I know it is very distressing to see your dog fit, I know it is for me to see mine but your vet is right, he won't feel anything during the seizure. The noise he makes is just air being forced over his vocal cords as his muscles spasm (apparently I could make a hell of a racket when fitting too!).

The confusion and dazed behaviour when he comes out of the fit you are describing is what is called the postictal state and though distressing for you, is perfectly normal. When my dog has had a fit, we have a high sided box with bedding in it that we pop her in for about half an hour so she can't bump into walls or try and get up the stairs.

I know I have only just scratched the surface here, but if there is anymore info I can give you, just let me know.

Thanks celt and FTL. He had his first fit 2 years ago and yes, it was really frightening, but I've got used to them now. I have a routine of checking to make sure he's not going to crack his head on anything or fall down the stairs and then off to get the valium to put up his bum (gross) and then to get the cleaning stuff for when he loses control of himself and then i just hang around until I'm sure he's had his last fit (normally 2 in a row) and is ready to sleep.

It's good to think that he doesn't feel pain when he yelps and that he doesn't remember it afterwards - must be hella confusing for him though when he wakes up all dazed and knackered! I've had that feeling myself though after good nights out so can empathise with that part.

Ta

Josie

I think that this is extreme. As long as the dog is enjoying a good quality of life apart from the epilepsy, then I don't think this is necessary. Its like suggesting that humans who suffer from epilepsy should pay the euthanasia clinic a visit some time soon.

Archived