Govenors Hill Roundabout Closed Rta

arronc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was in the car behind and am glad to say nobody was seriously injured. It shook me up pretty badly how easily these things happen.

these things don't happen easily though, they happen because of bad loading and maybe strapping in poor condition ( i'd expect chains on something like that anyway! ), no excuses. if it was secured as it should have been, it wouldn't have fell off!!

Am i the only one to notice this digger was not strapped/chained to the trailer ?

Also the load in the rear of the truck is not tied down also. :o

Wow. What company was transporting the digger? Good job noone was hurt. Ooooh imagine driving along and the next thing 'boom' your digger falls off the back of your lorry, holy moly, that would be a frightening, sickening and embarrassing moment, ooooooh /shakes head (and secretly hopes it was Gazza driving)

Jesus. The driver was lucky get out of that car alive. He/she must have seen it coming down and quickly threw themselves over passenger seat.

Not easy to do if you are wearing a seatbelt though as it'd lock with a quick movement wouldn't it?

As I was following it up Bray Hill I told my passenger that I was going to stay back as it didn't look safe.

I think you also were very lucky, it pays to drive with caution when you see a load that looks a bit dodgy and in your case it certainly paid off. Good luck sleeping tonight with all that on your mind, there's no way i would be able to sleep!

looking at the pics it over balanced and so chains wouldn't have made a jot of difference as it took the trailer with it

overbalanced perhaps?? but i would only expect that to happen at the slow speed it should have been going if the chains were slack and it allowed the digger to slide sideways first and pick up a bit of momentum to flip it. if there was no slack i would expect the wider footprint of the trailer to keep things rubber side down.

As I was following it up Bray Hill I told my passenger that I was going to stay back as it didn't look safe.

Shocking accident, one very lucky person/people involved! I just hope there were no kiddies in the car etc as they wouldn't be able to move or duck if in their seats etc.

jo79 - I would contact Police HQ and pass on your details as a witness to the lorry etc as I am sure it would help with any enquiries they will be making - you may have already done so though so ignore me if you have.

The truck towing the trailer is massively undersize, thtas good for about 3.5 tons,not the twenty or so it was towing.

really? how'd you work that one out.

looks alot heavier than most towing units used on the island, plus the tremmel in the skip so heavy enough to me to do the job

to me it looks like he's just clipped the kerb/wall and that has unsettled the load also if it was not strapped on to the trailer the digger would have slid off and not tipped the trailer up on its side.

Archived