Fears Over Island's Vat Deal

Roger Smelly

It looks like maybe the Isle of Man could make up the £100+million deficit by cashing in on the pink pound.

Aren't the laws they are discussing already applicable in the UK? So why would more people (I assume you mean an increase in tourism) want to come here to get married if they could already do the same in the UK?

John Houghton will be living in a cave on the calf if this goes through - with any luck.

Indeed, but Pater Tatchell is campaigning for full marriage to be allowed. I daresay that sort of step would be unpopular with the more conservative types over here, but frankly anything that brought in tourist money would be brilliant, and we'd look very progressive compared to our neighbours.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember being told in the late 80's that if we legalised homosexuality the Island would turn into Canal Street or Old Crompton Street (or Sodom & Gomorrah) on sea. Lot of disappointed hoteliers.

I seem to remember being told in the late 80's that if we legalised homosexuality the Island would turn into Canal Street or Old Crompton Street (or Sodom & Gomorrah) on sea. Lot of disappointed hoteliers.

I take it you haven't been in Douglas for a while then? Like Sodom and Gomorrah it was destroyed by GOD (the Gibbering Overlord of Douglas - David Christian, and the like). Ooooer matron...they've been shafting Douglas ratepayers up where the sun doesn't shine for years.

If I recall correctly, the suggestion of targeting pink tourism was raised a couple of years ago ( either local papers or one of the online local news sites ) but nothing further was mentioned or actioned.

It looks like maybe the Isle of Man could make up the £100+million deficit by cashing in on the pink pound.

Aren't the laws they are discussing already applicable in the UK? So why would more people (I assume you mean an increase in tourism) want to come here to get married if they could already do the same in the UK?

John Houghton will be living in a cave on the calf if this goes through - with any luck.

Indeed, but Pater Tatchell is campaigning for full marriage to be allowed. I daresay that sort of step would be unpopular with the more conservative types over here, but frankly anything that brought in tourist money would be brilliant, and we'd look very progressive compared to our neighbours.

Peter Thatchell is an attention seeking pain in the arse !

Archived