Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

Rog, have you seen some of these letters? They are very cleverly written and *ing frightening if you don't know any better.

I only know of one case personally but the poor old girl (who didn't have to pay anyway) was so convinced she would end up in court for the first time in her life that she just paid up. It is outrageous that a private company can get away with writing letters that intimidate those not "quite so confident" in this way. There are plenty of cases on you tube where it is clear the householder is not goading the inspector or police yet the written intimidation continues in face to face form.

I am sure most on here could handle the situation appropriately if they had a visit but don't assume that everyone could.

We all know they have a job to do and we all know there are thousands that work the system but that is no excuse for the approach by some Capita staff.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I correct that you need a TV licence to use Sky+ etc to record a live TV programme to watch later? You can buy a DVD and play it on a video connected to the TV, or watch via iPlayer, but if you record it yourself you need a licence to do that - it isn't just watching which is the issue it is recording it (live) to watch it.

If you receive a live broadcast, you need a licence.

If you record it for later, then you need a licence.

If you record a live transmission, and subsequently playback via a b&w telly, you need a colour licence on account of receiving a colour broadcast.

Tbt

I wouldn't and you wouldn't but some, especially old people are frightened by officialdom. Whilst many of these you tube clips are goading the Capita staff there's enough where this doesn't happen yet that doesn't stop the intimidating behaviour. I am convinced many will just pay to make it go away.

But the more vulnerable older people are likely to be 75 and over and they get free TV Licences anyway. I suppose it's possible that Capita people might still target them to get a second bite of the cherry, but it would be a high risk strategy both from a PR point of view and because they would have to make refunds if caught. So if anything they probably avoid older people because in many cases there's no money to gained by chasing them.

Roger, capita employees are on commission, they will target the vulnerable to supplement their salary. High risk strategy doesn't enter the equation.

Whenever they are filmed, most just leave or demand an end to filming...contravening their human rights is the usual reason...the irony isn't lost on me.

Tbt.

Archived