Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

Thats very true, however your next bill will be an estimate, then you`ll wish you let the meter reader in.

They also have a statutory obligation to do "safety inspections" as well as take the readings. I think it's once a year. This is imposed by the regulator.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you say she has no tv but the copper tells her she can go to prison? For nothing?

I didn't say she has no tv. You know too well tv ownership doesn't equal having to give your money to the BBC.

So she's another i-player refusenik then?

Another £145.50 missing from the coffers. It's starting to add up isn't it?

How fast was the iPlayer paywall going to go up?

Better tell Mrs TBT to watch Sherlock tonight before its pulled. :)

TBT

I know that there are people who do not watch television.

Now you're doing a 180. If you'd have trusted the man's word in the first place....

See the thing is also there is no obligation to let someone in your house to check up up on you to see if you were lying.

Would I let some stranger in my house to prove myself truthful. No F'ing chance!

You have to let the electricity suppliers in to inspect your meter. Can't see the difference. Get over it and allow access.

My meter is outside, in a box and the MEA have a key.

I can see a difference, the leccy chap checks the meter is within spec. (they're changed every so often) and bills according to the reading.

Allow access to some goon that has no right of access; why would I want to do that? So I can show him the place where the telly would be if I had one?

If you receive a live broadcast, pay your £145.50, and get over it. Move on. Don't take it so serious. It's only £3/week for a live broadcast and gazillions of channels to choose from, plus radio too!

If you want to block iPlayer (and would that include C4, ITV download?), get a move on, it's been free for best part of a decade.

:)

TBT.

My point was that you were admitting to committing an offence to evade detection for something you say you're not doing. It doesn't make a lot of sense. You may have other 'reasons' for not filling in a Census form[1] but it doesn't matter because you still have to do it - that's the law and you're breaking it if you don't. True it's unlikely that our notoriously lax administration would prosecute you or even be organised enough to notice, but they also have a tendency to suddenly get all legalistic when they feel like picking on someone, so you're always taking a chance.

In any case the whole point of the Census is that information in it relating to individuals is kept secret for 100 years and can't be accessed by anyone. So unless you believe Capita are going to start sending you demands from the Future, you have nothing to fear.

[1] it strikes me that you may actually be confusing the Census (which is only every ten years) with the annual registration to vote and the subsequent inclusion in the Electoral Register. There is no legal requirement on the Isle of Man to fill this in, though arguably there should be because it is a way of avoiding jury service. It is illegal in the UK, though prosecutions are rare.

>My point was that you were admitting to committing an offence to evade detection for something you say you're not doing.

Who is admitting to committing an offence? The Border Terrier? Who’s he/she? As Sir Winston Churchill once said, “Don’t believe all you read on the internet”

>It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

>You may have other 'reasons' for not filling in a Census form[1] but it doesn't matter because you still have to do it - that's the law and you're breaking it if you don't.

So if The Border Terrier is say Jon Venables or Robert Thomson would he need to fill in a Census Form? Are there any exemptions? Can you prove the real TBT hasn’t filled in a form. I mean, I may have sent it off, but it hasn’t been received/they’ve lost it and not told me. Perhaps YOUR form isn’t on the list for the same reasons and you’ve unwittingly broken the law! Liable to one of Blade Runners BIG FINES.

>True it's unlikely that our notoriously lax administration would prosecute you or even be organised enough to notice, but they also have a tendency to suddenly get all legalistic when they feel like picking on someone, so you're always taking a chance.

I’ll live with it for now.

>In any case the whole point of the Census is that information in it relating to individuals is kept secret for 100 years and can't be accessed by anyone.

Again, Roger, I just can’t tell whether you’re being serious or not. Ever heard of officials leaving memory sticks lying around, or had their computer systems hacked? I bet the CIA has unencumbered access to any UK database of their choice either legally or otherwise.

>So unless you believe Capita are going to start sending you demands from the Future, you have nothing to fear.

Chuckle. Bit of levity there Rog, nice one. So I’m giving you a ‘like this’ for your post.

>[1] it strikes me that you may actually be confusing the Census (which is only every ten years) with the annual registration to vote and the subsequent inclusion in the Electoral Register.

Just bin all the stuff through the post you don’t need. But please, have some respect for yourself, just don’t roll over to any halfwit knocking on your door telling you that you have to do as they say. And are you confident of spotting a fake Police warrant card/Capita i.d. How many of our elderly are duped by such means? Caller purports to be from the Leccy board to read the meter, has false i.d. and he cleans out their life savings from the tobyjug on the mantlepiece.

DON’T answer the door. Capita have threatened 'the Occupier' at my address for over 25 years; and I'm still awaiting a summons.

>There is no legal requirement on the Isle of Man to fill this in, though arguably there should be because it is a way of avoiding jury service.

Rog, if you like arguing so much, may I introduce you to my mother-in-law? :)

>It is illegal in the UK, though prosecutions are rare.

Huh? I don’t live in the UK.

TBT.

Yeah ridiculing the impotency of TVL is a kind of a hobby. Thing is TVL provide so much material to take the piss out of it's hard not to bite sometimes.

There was however nothing funny about what the scum did in this video.

Just listen to the uneducated copper telling this lady she could go to prison for no tv licence!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnBjjeQgyZk

And before anyone jumps to conclusions as to whether the victim here is an evader I can tell you she isn't.

Questionable conduct on display there. These sort of tactics and behaviour by state busy bodies are precisely the reasons why I would never let them in. I know I'm not doing anything wrong and they are clearly causing alarm and distress with their behaviour. If the letters they sent me hadn't been along the threatening / "You're a criminal" line, but instead had been reasonable and nice, and if their goons wouldn't have such an awful reputation, then I probably would have let them in. As it stands, I couldn't blame anyone for not wanting to have anything to do with those thugs.

Questionable conduct on display there.

Absolutely. Using fear and threats to harass someone in their own home.

Apart from using speculative and intimidating letters like "What to expect when you get to Court" they also manipulatively use the PO database of addresses. Lets say there are 5 flats in a building called Biker House at IM9 1YU. If you look on the PO website under this postcode (don't it doesn't really exist), all 5 flats will be separately listed. What will not be listed is (no number) Biker House IM9 1YU but guess what, Capita will speculatively target this address and when someone helpful points this out four or five times in writing that the address doesn't exist in the form they are using, they just carry on. Why? I suppose one day one of the 1- 5 residents will get spooked by it and pay even though they are not liable to.

"We are only doing our job sir:"

Am I correct that you need a TV licence to use Sky+ etc to record a live TV programme to watch later? You can buy a DVD and play it on a video connected to the TV, or watch via iPlayer, but if you record it yourself you need a licence to do that - it isn't just watching which is the issue it is recording it (live) to watch it.

Don't see why anyone would pay if not liable to do so just because they get a letter

I wouldn't and you wouldn't but some, especially old people are frightened by officialdom. Whilst many of these you tube clips are goading the Capita staff there's enough where this doesn't happen yet that doesn't stop the intimidating behaviour. I am convinced many will just pay to make it go away.

Don't see why anyone would pay if not liable to do so just because they get a letter

I wouldn't and you wouldn't but some, especially old people are frightened by officialdom. Whilst many of these you tube clips are goading the Capita staff there's enough where this doesn't happen yet that doesn't stop the intimidating behaviour. I am convinced many will just pay to make it go away.

I don't see many old people there though, and I doubt that many would pay just to make it go away if they weren't liable. If our rebel friends can show us any cases like that rather than youngish, bolshie dependancy culture types who goad the inspectors because they think they are clever, then I would be the first to sympathise. I would even offer to fight the case for them.

But the more vulnerable older people are likely to be 75 and over and they get free TV Licences anyway. I suppose it's possible that Capita people might still target them to get a second bite of the cherry, but it would be a high risk strategy both from a PR point of view and because they would have to make refunds if caught. So if anything they probably avoid older people because in many cases there's no money to gained by chasing them.

Archived