Latest Steam Packet Nonsense

ballaughbiker

No cultural ties with Ireland?

Before the English decided to come on holiday there was far more in common with Ireland!

Finn McCool made the Island

Mannanan MacLir came from Ireland

St Patrick brought christianity to the Island

Manx Gaelic, the superstitions, the fairies, the music etc etc.

Oh yes, I do think those strong cultural ties we have with Ireland are the best reason we have to argue for the maintenance of the Irish service.

So you can book a car on as long as it has no driver and passengers then...

Shurely shome mishtake?

I'd guess they have space left for cars and have to retain some passenger space for the occupants of those cars.

e.g. if it has capacity for 175 cars (or 275 depending on which site you believe) and 782 passengers then it may reserve 350 (175 x 2, but purely a guess) of those passenger spaces for car occupants.

They are taking bookings for 2010 now, but the price is a piss take.

We have booked to get away for TT IOM Heysham return end of mat return after TT week car + 2 £375 IOMSR

Hull Roterdam Car+ 2, cabins and all meals return same dates £230

We have booked to get away for TT IOM Heysham return end of mat return after TT week car + 2 £375 IOMSR

A taxi from Douglas to Ramsey is more expensive than getting the bus.

IOM route is inevitably much more expensive because of the volume of traffic and the sizes of the vessels.

A taxi from Douglas to Ramsey is more expensive than getting the bus.

IOM route is inevitably much more expensive because of the volume of traffic and the sizes of the vessels.

During the beginning TT period the IOMSR have plenty of sailings to the UK mostly empty, on checking if I go 2 or 3 days earlier tho cost is only £155

During the beginning TT period the IOMSR have plenty of sailings to the UK mostly empty, on checking if I go 2 or 3 days earlier tho cost is only £155

You were comparing the IOM route with UK - Netherlands. The comparison does not stand up because of the different volumes of traffic. Though on any Channel or North Sea route you would find similar differences between the prices on different days.

Prices are going to be higher at a time when the passengers need specific dates. That's how ticketing works. Irrespective of whether that means empty seats. Though personally I would rather pay slightly more to travel on a less full boat.

The alternative to variable pricing would be fixed pricing. Which would be much more expensive on average. I am surprised that the IOM route is as cheap as it is.

Want to come back for Christmas as a foot passenger from Heysham on 23rd December - simple enough. Conversation went like this:

Are you booking a car on?

No.

Then we're fully booked.

Eh? so is that 500 foot passengers on that sailing?

Must be (followed by) yes.

Anyway all is not lost, there's always Christmas Eve. I just hope the three trains to Heysham work out OK.....

In my 30+ years of dealing with the Racket this is the first time (apart from TT) that I've found the boat (as opposed to fast craft)has been fully booked for foot passengers unless you know different.

Space will be restricted on the 23rd since its a Wednesday sailing.

You were comparing the IOM route with UK - Netherlands. The comparison does not stand up because of the different volumes of traffic. Though on any Channel or North Sea route you would find similar differences between the prices on different days.

Prices are going to be higher at a time when the passengers need specific dates. That's how ticketing works. Irrespective of whether that means empty seats. Though personally I would rather pay slightly more to travel on a less full boat.

The alternative to variable pricing would be fixed pricing. Which would be much more expensive on average. I am surprised that the IOM route is as cheap as it is.

A big part of the problem seems to be that the utilisation of the ferries is very low - according to Mark Woodward <40%. The market is UK/Ireland residents to IoM as well as IoM residents to UK/Ireland so there is a market of 70 million to tap into but in a price competitive world most people in the UK and Ireland will give the IOMSPC a big miss and go for a less expensive alternative. Maybe, just maybe more competitive pricing, well advertised, would attract more people onto the boats and increase profit. Mind you Mr Woodward ain't no Mr O'Leary.

BTW you can pay a bit more to travel in less crowded surrounding by joining the Mannanan Executive Club or paying for a seat in the Mannanan Premium Lounge....

Archived