Peter Karran

Topaz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'd got bored at the material time and went out to plant seeds, as you do. When I came back in they were all ripping into him (Peter). As far as I can gather he had repeated his frequent trick of withdrawing a motion with only a few minutes notice to the house, as some members had spent time on their contributions to the debate they were a bit pissed off. Peter responded in his own Peterspeak way and it went on from there.

Well I'd got bored at the material time and went out to plant seeds, as you do. When I came back in they were all ripping into him (Peter). As far as I can gather he had repeated his frequent trick of withdrawing a motion with only a few minutes notice to the house, as some members had spent time on their contributions to the debate they were a bit pissed off. Peter responded in his own Peterspeak way and it went on from there.

at the risk of being attacked by the followers of St Peter of Onchan, its about time

Peter Karran has more balls than the rest of tynwalk put together, good on him keep it up. He will get elected for the Onchan MHK untill he retires from politics.

so, people in Onchan vote people in based on their collection of balls? do they have to be a specific type, such as tennis or rugby? Or are you just another person too lazy to bother taking an active interest in government polich and parliamentary proceedings and votes for the person who shouts the most and the loudest, regardless of whether or not anything they say makes any sense? Perhaps if he put forward a cohesive policy on something - a workable rather than fanciful one - rather than just trotting out the same tired, hackneyed criticism of anyone selected to work for a government department (dead hand of the executive et al) he could actually achieve something.

Fine words indeed censorship.

Now.....I wonder can you explain why Peter Karran has topped the poll in Onchan for the past 23 years.

Its a mystery to me Nipper.

All I can conclude is that the electorate sees value in a person who sets himself up in opposition to most policies; who rarely provides any coherent alternative; who's objections are rarely cogent; who's delivery is garbled, difficult to follow and often misses the point.

Given the quality of our Tynwald maybe it is better to simply waffle away opposing things - give enough, imprecise objections to things and you'll hit home every now and then.

There is a role for such a figure, especially in a non-party political chamber without a "loyal opposition", and Peter seems to have got the Man-of-the-People award from the public of Onchan for standing up against Tynwald. The trouble is given the quality of Peter's interventions it seems to me to be highly unlikely he does his role very much good. Standing up after the fact doesn't help, and that is Karren's main role.

A better cautioning voice is needed, but that voice most definitely is not Peter Karrens.

All I can conclude is that the electorate sees value in a person who sets himself up in opposition to most policies; who rarely provides any coherent alternative; who's objections are rarely cogent; who's delivery is garbled, difficult to follow and often misses the point.

Maybe people like him.

Lets not forget that he continually asked nearly the right questions about the MEA when nobody else was asking any questions. He definitely knew that something was up. And before that there was Mount Murray.

Imagine if there was someone prepared to be as annoying as him but with a cut glass accent and a fine English education :)

Archived