Was It Ever Illegal To Import Hamsters?

immortalpuppet

Grotbags has just mentioned that when she was young, she was told it was illegal to import Hamsters.

After laughing a little and telling her that her parents probably told her this to prevent her getting one, her mum phoned and said it was true. Her mum said it was to do with them being vermin and they were not allowed to be imported until around the 80`s.

I think the pair of them are full of shit but I cant find anything either way.

Are the hags right?

Grotbags has just mentioned that when she was young, she was told it was illegal to import Hamsters.

After laughing a little and telling her that her parents probably told her this to prevent her getting one, her mum phoned and said it was true. Her mum said it was to do with them being vermin and they were not allowed to be imported until around the 80`s.

Are the hags right?

Are the hags right?

Gerbils

The following animals may not be imported or kept in the Isle of Man without a licence from the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry: Cervidae species (all deer) except those specified in the Schedule to the Wild Animals (Restriction on Importation, etc) Act 1980; Cricetus cricetus European hamster; Mustela vison mink; Myocaster coypus coypu; Sciurus carolinensis grey squirrel; and Sciurus vulgaris red squirrel. The very large European hamster, which could overwinter in the Isle of Man and become a pest, is not to be confused with the golden or Syrian hamster, commonly kept as a pet. The latter is not regulated under this legislation.

Source: DAFF - Destructive Imported Animals Act 1963

No I believe Gerbils were fine but I definitely remember Hamsters not being allowed on the Island which is why people had Gerbils instead.

Yep, agreed, that is my recollection.

By the by, can I give out the first award for 2010, to the most intriguing thread title which promised so much?

Archived