No Id

K.os Theory

This is probably a very simple question, but after a few beers I figured MF was my best search result...

can i travel to the uk without photographic ID ( my passport has expired and I don't drive a vehicle of any kind ). Sorry I want to travel by plane if that makes any difference.

Many thanks

:rolleyes:

You don't need any photo ID on the Steam Packet - just turn up and go.

That's generally true...but I think security can stop you anytime and ask for proof of identity of who you are...and of course stop you from travelling if they think you might be someone you are not...or, in some cases, stop you from travelling if you are indeed the someone you actually are.

That's generally true...but I think security can stop you anytime and ask for proof of identity of who you are...and of course stop you from travelling if they think you might be someone you are not...or, in some cases, stop you from travelling if you are indeed the someone you actually are.

The only justification they have for stopping you is under Section 7 of the Terrorism Act Para 2 which states:

An examining officer may question a person who is entering or leaving Great Britain for the purpose of determining whether that person is or has been concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

That is not a power stop and search for any other reason.

Check with the airline first, but I reckon you'll be ok with the passport even though it's expired. You're not using it as a passport, more a mugshot. I doubt the ceckin staff would notice it had expired in any case!

I travelled on an expired driving licence more than once!

Check with the airline first, but I reckon you'll be ok with the passport even though it's expired. You're not using it as a passport, more a mugshot. I doubt the ceckin staff would notice it had expired in any case!

Before the 9/11 'incident' an American mate travelled from Boston MA airport (Logan I think) on his wife's passport - he only noticed when he was in London!

officially yes, but my girlfriend recently travelled to and from Manchester on FlyBe using 2 cash cards for i.d.

passport lost between home and the airport (or not as the case turned out to be, just couldn't be arsed to look in her bag).

And I travelled via Ronaldsway over Christmas carrying (accidentally) a particulalry nasty looking corkscrew in the outside pocket of my hand baggage! This passed undetected through a total of three airports security systems BTW :blink:

The 'pat-downs' didn't do the biz about that one!

The only justification they have for stopping you is under Section 7 of the Terrorism Act Para 2 which states:

An examining officer may question a person who is entering or leaving Great Britain for the purpose of determining whether that person is or has been concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

That is not a power stop and search for any other reason.

You're wrong there, read the UK Borders Act 2007.

Just because it isn't on a sign...

Albert, are you referring to this clause?

2 Detention

(1) A designated immigration officer at a port in England, Wales or Northern

Ireland may detain an individual if the immigration officer thinks that the

individual—

Because immigration control does not apply at Heysham and Liverpool for the Steam Racket . . .

Albert, are you referring to this clause?

2 Detention

(1) A designated immigration officer at a port in England, Wales or Northern

Ireland may detain an individual if the immigration officer thinks that the

individual—

Because immigration control does not apply at Heysham and Liverpool for the Steam Racket . . .

That, other paragraphs in there, and of course the Aviation and Maritime Security Act too - lots of people have the power to ask who you are and ask you to prove it when going into ports. Don't be so naive.

Being asked for ID is the easy bit. You could have a rubber glove up your botty at the drop of a hat.

Archived