Marine Biological Lab Redevlopment

Dave Hedgehog

Should be a good move.

Very welcome for that area of Port Erin I would think.

Now, build a 24hr slip (thats big enough for more than one boat at a time) and add a proper boat park right on the end. Clear the eye sore of broken boats at the pier, have a farmers market there in the summer, and car parking in the winter.

Should be a good move.

Very welcome for that area of Port Erin I would think.

Now, build a 24hr slip (thats big enough for more than one boat at a time) and add a proper boat park right on the end. Clear the eye sore of broken boats at the pier, have a farmers market there in the summer, and car parking in the winter.

Don't forget to bring along a few tourists to be ripped-off by the locals blink.gif

Is this one of the sites Callows Yard had on its list of development sites along with King William's? Definitely a good bit of news.

Is the sewage outfall still behind it off Kione ny Garee? Or has IRIS removed it?

NEVER eat ANYTHING caught off the old PE breakwater!!!

IRIS is now apparently fully on line for Port Erin. Up until just a few years ago raw sewage was discharged at Castle Rock (Kione ny thingummy ^)just along from the Marine Biological Centre. There were always crab/lobster pots out there and the fishing was excellent too. You could see the grey mullet picking their way through the floating big bits.

The crabs were always big and healthy just like the vegetables from the gardens of the hotels on the promenade where the chamber pots were apparently emptied and used as a handy fertiliser.

I suppose much of that was in the days before we put all those chemicals down the sewers though.

On a more positive note, I am sure the broken breakwater must by now offer a handy foundation for a new pier to form one of those marinas.

• 1 year later...

21 Months on, a new selection of "talking heads" , the building is looking worse than ever!

Rushen MHK's and Port Erin Commissioners can "Talk the talk but can't walk the walk". How about some action, grow a set, stop floundering and get some results.

Agreed - Port Erin's the general area of the Island I'm looking at returning to in the future.

I thought it was Cornwall. Can't stay away eh?

That was 20 months ago - much has changed since then. The moment the Island has a good, efficient government I'll back right back.

Archived